Future 383cid Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
But i have to question/compare the HP ratings of both...
The problem with a dyno comparison is you have 2 different dynos, one in Texas and one in Nebraska with 2 different guys operating them, that alone could be the difference in the power levels.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Agreed. Different dynos different operators different results. However, the one thing I do know is it's fun to drive and that's what matters to me.

• Agree

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
A tough choice between BPE and SMEDING.

For one, i could easily drop cash for the smeding 383 long block right now if i wanted and pick it up myself, but i would have to find other means to pay for the BPE 383 engine plus frieght for the out of state purchase, my CC doent go that high, and to be honest, i prefer it that way.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I think the bottom line is what one feels comfortable paying for what they're getting. Bang for your buck. And the seat of the pants horsepower feeling. 377/383 436HP/450HP. As long as it's fun driving your ride, that's all that really matters. (At least to me)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
but i would have to find other means to pay for the BPE 383 engine plus frieght for the out of state purchase,
It says fee shipping which includes truck freight, Summit also has a store in Texas

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
It says fee shipping which includes truck freight, Summit also has a store in Texas
I ordered mine right from blueprint. I told them Summit had free shipping so they matched it and gave me a blueprint shirt to seal the deal.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’ll throw it out there - why 3.80 stroke? Means non-shelf parts to me.

Either way you go sounds like good options. SMEDING being 30 miles away is a GREAT selling point as long as they are good people.

As mentioned, dyno HP numbers are marketing gimmicks AFAIC. 400-450hp is a sh*t ton in a cruiser on a street tire. I don’t believe most people can tell the difference between 400 or 500hp on the street. 400 is a smoke machine,tire eater if you like to buy tires.

Good luck.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
BPE: 30 month and 50.000 mile warranty applies to individual or professional installations, is fully transferable, and covers engines worldwide.
GM: 24 month and 50,000 mile warranty when installed by a GM Dealer or qualified installing independent Service Center (ISC) or when sold over the counter and REPAIRED by a GM Dealer or qualifying ISC. Parts only when consumer repaired or installed in non-highway application. Coverage limited to defects in material and/or workmanship of the specific part only. Warranty valid when all required components are installed on the same vehicle and purchased on one invoice.

BPE: aluminum heads with 2.02/1.60 valves and roller rockers uses standard valve covers
GM: cast iron Vortec with 1.94/1.50 valves and stamped steel rockers,

BPE: comes with aluminum water pump, fuel pump, carburetor, HEI and wires, spark plugs, air cleaner and a dyno sheet.
GM: comes with a cast iron water pump

The only advantage for the GM is a forged crankshaft and forged rods where BPE uses a cast steel crankshaft and Chevy heavy beam rods with 150,000 psi bolts.
But for the extra $600+ you get an engine that puts out 113 horsepower less than the BPE

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor