G-bodies disappearing-never gave it much thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Around my area, dirt track racers and high scrap metal prices have made G-bodies hard to find. I was talking to a friend last night and he mentioned how you never see any on the road anymore. I never thought much about it but he's right. Several years ago we used to go salvaging and grab good G-body parts. Lately, since I need some parts for my Salon, most of the salvages that had G cars all in them are now empty of them. They are now full of 90's era stuff. I'm down to two salvages that have them left and its because both of them are dirt track racers. When I called for an axle for my Salon, the owner told me I better get what I can from his Salon because its getting ready to be built into a dirt track car. I'm probably going today. I'll save what I can afford to.

pontiac6269

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2008
Sparta, Wisconsin
That's the way it is here. There is a few running around but most have been used up as stock cars. LaCrosse Speedway is 20 minutes from me, then Wisconsin Dells, Tomah and few others that are an hour or so drive. I'm not into it but have seen a lot of nice sheet metal get destroyed.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Same here

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I see more and more each year on the streets. As for the cars turned into race cars we raced the metric (g body) fro years. Race teams do not have the sponsorship money if they have any sponsors at all to buy expensive cars to turn them into race cars. We bought cars for a few hundred $$ fit to be in the scrap yard and turned them into race cars. We stripped the cars down and tried to see whatever we could to help fund our race program. We rarely were able to sell anything and got tired of storing stuff we could not use so we junked it. As for the nice sheet metal you saw on the race cars a little bit of paint can make the cars look pretty good from the stands..

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I have several high turn over salvage yards in my area. Five years ago it was typical to see at least 2 or more G bodies in the yard at any given time. Now it is a rarity and the ones that come through are usually pimped out, hacked up, rotted or roached so bad that they don't have much parts value. Makes me glad I've hoarded parts for over 20 years.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Sad but true - I never see any Grand Prix's or Cutlasses around here - mine is really the only 80's 442 at the local shows. There are a few Monte Carlo SS's, but no more than 3 that I see around. It's a shame.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
Here in Clearfield County pa is stock car heaven,Also there a 4 recycling yards around within a 50 mile radius of were i live,It's not everyday that you see a g body running around here,Not saying that they'er none around but you get what i am saying.There are 2 monte an 1 olds up there at the Noveys,I was lucky enough to get my hands on them montes first before everyone else did,I am trying to fix one up,an all they care about is getting parts off them to beat to hell for a damn race car.Iv been up there a bunch of times an MOST of the time there are NO g bodys up there.It's too bad when they go there because they only keep them for about 5 months if that an then they go to the crusher.They can't sell whole cars,once there JUNKED titles are no longer good,they'll sell everything you want beside the shell :( i can remember calling 10 different junkyards wanting a fender an all said they didn't have anything or nothing that old

I am sure it's because the car manufacture are greedy an want all the older cars OFF the road,it's a way for them to keep the money wheel rolling,Also "Cash for Clunkers" just like the saying THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TO well ,if they made cars to last they wouldn't make as much money,plus it would cost a sh*t load more to buy one :rofl:

Nov 4, 2012
pontiacgp said:
As for the nice sheet metal you saw on the race cars a little bit of paint can make the cars look pretty good from the stands..

Very true... I have family that races dirt track super late models and you should see some if the piece of sh*t bodies they use. By the time they are covered in mud you can't see the rocker panels and lower quarters anyways so why bother fixing the all the rust there?

pontiac6269

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2008
Sparta, Wisconsin
I've seen them up close and they where pretty clean cars at one time. I had a friend and his brother both raced, my brother owned one for awhile and had another friend that built engines for some of the drivers. They liked the cleaner cars, less body work until the started racing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor