G bodies in the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I start mine and get it to operating temp for over a hour other week, never had any issues!!, I stick the exhaust tube under the garage door and let it run. But I'm always doing a side job which I already fired up the heater and the garage is somewhat warm 8) I don't drive my current GP in the winter but did my earlier ones and agree with weight in the trunk they do ok. Reason why I don't I drive my GP is the road salt & Mag chloride they lay down AND I see what it does on our equipment!! :| which would eat my GP like a fat kid like's cake!! :shock:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yeah Steve, old batteries were pretty bad. So I guess some ideas die hard. I proved the discharge thing to my dad by using a multimeter and showing him that a dirty battery leaked 3 volts to the frame. Cleaning it and the battery tray with baking soda/soap/water eliminated the discharge. I always clean them before storing them- no problems.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
From what Ive learned through the yrs...the best way to store a vehicle, under a shed or even indoors, that will be out of service for 6 months or more is a follows:

Remove the battery, test it, and place on a trickle charger indoors
remove the carb, drain it, and wrap in plastic bag tightly
remove all the plugs and fog all the cylinders with marine fogging oil or marvel mystery oil. I plug them with blue shop towels rolled into a tight knot.
Drain coolant, flush system and blow out any moisture remaining with compressed air.
drain gas tank and flush it, or fill it to the tip top, but i prefer to drain it
drain the oil and add a few quarts of kerosene to remove any sludge, leave in till you are ready to refill with oil, then drain it out
jack up the car and put the frame (or suspension on unibody cars) on blocks or jack stands to prevent flat spots and dry rotting of the tires
cover the car with a large old cotton sheet and put a few mice traps under and around the car. Yes, they will get into your car if you don't kill them first!
place a catch tray under the trans (auto only) to catch any seeps, or drain it.

Its a lot of work, but if and when you plan to sell it or drive it again, it will be a lot less of a pain to get it back on the road quickly when the time comes. Some of these steps can be skipped, but the one I would be sure to do is remove the carb and draining the tank.

Bill

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
For those of you worried about salt buildup on your vehicles try spraying the lower half with a non stick cooking spray or wd-40. Wd-40 is also good for getting boa constrictors off of your engine (their website even says so) and it has 1000s of other uses too!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
MrHernandez said:
For those of you worried about salt buildup on your vehicles try spraying the lower half with a non stick cooking spray or wd-40. Wd-40 is also good for getting boa constrictors off of your engine (their website even says so) and it has 1000s of other uses too!

boa constrictors have a web site????... :shock:

gearhead79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2014
Ha!! Sorry to get off topic here guys, but I was just thinking of a topic like this yesterday!!! Living in the Chicago area plus being a truck driver I see poor g's all over the place! I got 3 that I can get pics of, one being a blue cutlass 442 that I have watched for six years get worse and worse, another is a poor grand prix that looks like it hasn't been washed since it was bought, let's just say I've seen nicer ones in the junk yard!!! The rust is just insane, and the last is a bu Wagon a buddy of mine drives everday.he couldnt believe it when I told him guys will pay decent money for it, so now the poor thing sits out in the nasty salt and snow, and all it needed was a little quarter work :( .like I said I'll try my best to get pics of them

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
MY WINTER BEATER, and NOT SURE IF THATS MY MALIBU OR A A GALANT GTZ UNDER ALL THAT SNOW, THEY BOTH WERE PARKED ON THE STREET... 83 MALIBU 3.8 6CYL 4-DOOR... PARTING OUT FOR FREE, IF YOU NEED SOMETHING SHIPPED YOU PAY FOR SHIPPING...

Attachments

• IMG_20140120_210506.jpg
    IMG_20140120_210506.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_23298361389419.jpeg
    IMG_23298361389419.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 532

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
BPTTONE420012 said:
MY WINTER BEATER, and NOT SURE IF THATS MY MALIBU OR A A GALANT GTZ UNDER ALL THAT SNOW, THEY BOTH WERE PARKED ON THE STREET... 83 MALIBU 3.8 6CYL 4-DOOR... PARTING OUT FOR FREE, IF YOU NEED SOMETHING SHIPPED YOU PAY FOR SHIPPING...

That is not a G body in the winter, that is a G body owned by the winter.... :shock:

file.php

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I know I parked it there somewhere....
P2010211.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor