G-body cousin S truck "Barn find"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Have an S-10 of my own although it is ever so slightly newer in age, being a 2003, also an extended cab. Has the V-6 which I plan to keep as is; well sort of. Came to me with a true dual exhaust system that a previous owner had Rube Goldberg-ed into position. Great idea in theory, just very tight under there and must of cost more than had been budgeted for it cause the work started out nice and then got cheap. it's still there; I just re-imagined it and then created the infrastructure to match my concept. Biggest hassle was the O-2 sensors, major PITA to include them but necessary to keep the ECU's happy.

As for a possible engine swap, why not give some thought to an LS? Doesn't have to be an LSA or an LSX or one of the bigger cid versions. A 4.8 or 5.3 will do the job just nicely and both are strong enough as is. The biggest hassle will be the oil pan but Holley makes one with a shallower oil pick up sump that won't hang any lower than the crossmember. The rad has to be moved ahead and into its cradle but, there is room to do that. The truck model 5.3 that I personally scored came with the truck style manifold which sits taller than a car version. My idea to avoid having to modify the hood was to locate and purchase an LS6 manifold. They have a much lower profile and sit closer and deeper in the engine valley. And, of course, there is the engine management wiring harness to contend with. As has been noted and suggested elsewhere on the boaard, scoring the harness that matches the motor as part of the deal is one way of it, or going aftermarket and acquiring one that way is another.

On your fuel feed problems, Sitting that long, I would suggest that the original gasoline has long since turned into a sort of gooey varnish that has pretty much plugged up the filter sock on the bottom of the tank pickup. The cure for that is, you guessed it, to drop the tank and go for it. Not sure if your tank is steel or not, mine is heavy gauge PVC. Do know that you may have to shell out for new tank securing straps. Even in a dry and rust free environment you may still find they might break on being disassembled. It might be possible to toss in a can of Sea Foam Deep Creep gas conditioner but there are pros and cons to that exercise. It could dissolve the varnish and crud but that might also result in the filter sock dissolving as well; the varnish being all that is holding it together. If you do elect to pull the tank and inspect the sending unit/pickup, it would be easy and simple at that point to see if you can get the tank steamed out. Live steam ought to liquify and purge out all the residual crap that has accumulated from it just doing all that sitting. Just a thought.

Assuming the presence of a carb as opposed to TBI, there is also the possibility of an inline fuel filter in the carb bowl and again, the attendant possibility of a case of the galloping gas crud.

Just managed to access a couple of the thread additions and saw where you had back flushed the fuel line and got the system to move fuel cleanly again. Still think It might be worth the effort to drop the tank, or pull the bed and access the tank that way, depending on your patience level, and purge the tank out completely. It also lets you check the frame rails and give them a coat of anti-rust paint to protect them.

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
You already had what you needed

3i-04sghzVKEXkx619MdknPNz3thHq1KY43nAaEBLylQ3mx1RLAGkDjGkJfjxyOX_i8moCa9ZCt1LoghrttxLGWrR31xxhl69UmIiEhVVOx4FDBDjuyV1zm0Cx7JNr_XQJQLhT9GMLWDWzjXMo68NLd49YQ9BWHVAtgBAy59a9Aysfl2jV8SA76w3tBrqvv1AWCC2ZOTfv9lCge7hjXcjgqs1FK0BWyhzrHA6jKVeidVyG6Uu46V2LYHvPMJNXEHnV-FpSI-J1DYyaFw6VNa-2qEJqDojQ3Oft55wZkiKNYGbeOOBvoZEmGrnswsG43hZa6dKmTrVD4qdC4YB5QyGy4yDN4EPIEuLg6O7loYYeYYKq7ui2ACuwRPz24X1WsH6Q_JXFAXvCLX6B5zrVLFN0rp2X2niWdWdKz4b6U3Fb6fdRVB0p-g2g_SaT7PpCjB9UJP49nnFHRfKoob76NOm0RnVNUz80fR4caBFLbp0NLJU2qj3TUVP0w1VuBCwaGmaMIunE7fqi89kLq3-h2owo30pEtCiD_YLmig4E3-h8Cnl5nuRcP98YVj1529SWqO1ZbYiqBsuY5gIcbZPlkqyVxJ5CTrJYGu4h_Cqz6xH9EiMpBXUXy7iBficm1gijBQgjLfEVLEQgX7Kd2ef5psJQEmO4o6q-BvTGxM-nyBK-J9uI9HxoJLDYe4XANHAV1RZ8BE9T5gdfwUZ_eaZmnTCzXg=w1666-h938-no

fnqdyX7xleDrGZOYfqoGFP4_ybtZnJAU6eLrordDC8CKECACPl_YjC0D-HK8BzvBIAj_plj5-dBmqBE2nL8TjluygIvCMTMzXNRnAM0udTByODKR04fIgKMBgpEFsHNW_2H6mnZIbYK9f1u26JvY246yxUwLXUp48cyoJTl4IosiRY6L3T6MoHY_J5ns04-XjGYQsUcOeMTU_PaOBP8kBDTxKSshlHpLRLwfmMAiWE3p4nXmhJLJlRIgpIqVx8QmcbLy8KyO1niLVDUaq4v369fSbXkXR4SyZAx911DhQkOqffNN10efL7BwmQentGJJy6Slj44IFp1pLBaIV5c4RuJZUWBGuumXAw9CXJVhRzRaqNYzJwwnPfD6pCGS-U3TuG32-tBSBhA77vReD2w4Hxp4mVRyVRC7TT_eOivSbb6R-fEgama7t5cvHLT9iCo98Ylk-znFlTojwoM52lG-WJ7xap7jfTVgTRxcy8i3rAKjJrJJ9GKxpZy2UG9sGMpcKJrrfoazW6uIrGT_Z_lasjS-epUG5uUTyJNX8UVdOuFhS3SQWAVGeZVZpeEtzu_xs1yqZ-Eq-bgt_qy3Qyc_6dcMcXR4sV9SA6xMBzCMlX2aSB5bysKc31g-V5Ea3hzVMxMVts8iX2cAuGMSvjlqkG9hLBU56z2uYwyy2vYZ5J7hpCITqEqPY4uFal7JN7u7KCYfIGiBvSaPyATtzP6cShWh=w1666-h938-no

3gaW-UwQNka2HakIi9gagKvKG2Hd4VxJNKyH5WfPgmD7_0FGLSe0r91C6YprZnQz7vcTdAXhgjD1aRLDR1x5GFRXFbYmQkRTcFKTPIjTx0zA-ejtZub--cH0vYa2ayi67egsLQBUGFHVrFXz7VOrVt1azweq5A50X8OZxFr6O_pyss1IjAACgGp7HOxTOR-XQN1jg4696dZBr4pbiZY6vWQdM6F-BVAdQl0hq8DH9bATgjDfhKBU2-DeLKA39JXITHW6CBIIGZclBPlGUMMjlHtza6o319CLaBR1_ZOZC6_mdRxftqbIrRMEcAJR5mjgz9XZeAfmEetb_q0KNgKhb71qaTgxDxhQV2co0KGmGffgZfLHzapPVVO5MJLPxoDWDXAmd-Avc7yTNMNpsWgurk9LE-cyzHSciQ3Xle4TZequTa3dN71UnlVAGx8ebFKnPDXpf2TYbtoa5K-CnybwA0zwrVCcc9WGJeT6L3hpO0u6swdreWn4dNfkbPHYxEC_pIuBtRPy3a6l4-vQefMmUKT_Ln6UOdwPAFr8TWkKjVwOpevGYfZrjxRqTyrs0Hj1mFer6FAvUdXB6JTcPDrNFCPN4_KSWZTFgRwZ9qbB7D99htO2wOgfGoD3rZAJMss8OaILIHco140kFwAxhfyIjEEF5geQ53pGW8GLL8T6YWCRHBWER7go2rFGzzkPJqUtz-F6bIUUw0GZpK0wwlcRYjv0=w1666-h938-no

Reactions: 1 users

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
Always loved the first gen S10/S15s. In 1996 back in high school my buddy had 85 S10 blazer with a sbc in it it was lowered with Iroc wheels and this was before everyone else was putting the Iroc wheels on everything. One day I would like to find his and redo it or another 85 and do a tribute to his original since he passed way this year in a motorcycle accident.
Nice find keep us updated

Reactions: 2 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
@ Nick- Thanks for taking the time to suggest /share that info. I have several engines in the garage I've collected over time, including a 5.3 with a Texas Speed cam, 3- 350 SBCs including one roller Vortec motor with a ZZ4 cam, one with Dart iron heads, and one with a .540 lift roller that is around 435 hp, the high mileage 305 out of my 86 Bonneville, and the 75,000 mile 307 Olds that was in my '84 Cutlass. Originally I assumed this truck was old and broken and I did some research to see if I could put the Olds in it, honestly that seemed to be the best option because of it's low mileage, no need to do anything to it because it ran great and for a low powered V8 for my teenager son just starting to drive. Outside of a mild V8 swap I have no other real use for that engine either. Once I saw the truck was super low mileage I decided that V6 motor stays until we get bored of it's low power or it breaks. My brain is always planning ahead and the direction I can see this truck taking in the future is a pro street vibe with 29x18 Hoosiers and a 305 with a mild cam for smooth daily cruising and great mpg while still sounding like a nice V8. I already have Pumkinator as a serious autocross racer and I'm thinking my Bonneville will become a small tire drag car plus I'm building a big block for my '77 Burban that should be around 620 hp so my aging self is starting to think more about just easy cruising instead of needing crazy power in a putt around ride. I think this little truck is that vehicle.

When I back flushed the fuel line I heard an audible "plunk". My guess is as yours is, I bet I blew a clogged sock off. I'm sure some folks will suggest I'm not so bright for potentially running it without one. But, it's temporary, I put an inline filter in there and I do plan to crack the system open when it warms up. Luckily it only had a couple gallons of old gas in it, I added about 5 gallons of fresh gas and will run it near dry a couple times before I fill it to get that old gas out of there. That seems the easiest way to deal with it for now, I really am a pansy and can't stand working on cars in the cold, lol. In the spring I'll go back and do it all correctly. I didn't realize they used plastic tanks in these, I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the idea about steaming it, I'll check into that.

Last edited:

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
@ Gwarren- Nice truck!! I'm sure you hear it plenty but what a cool sleeper that would be with a gnarly V8! Love the stock look of that one.

@ Tuffregal- Great story and that'd be way cool if you could find his or at least duplicate it. Great way to keep his memory alive, and that look with the IROC wheels will never get old. Being an 80s high schooler I've always loved S10s, especially 1st gens. When my son's '78 Cutlass wagon got totaled by an old lady with her brain turned off he bought an '84 S10 to putt around in. Insurance money went into V8 swapping it and I got so excited I had to buy that '88 Blazer shown previously in this thread. I've still got a couple younger kids at home so the Blazer made more sense than me trying to find a pick up like his. Mine will be dropped with a mild 350/ T5 trans and Trans Am GTA wheels on it, another popular factory wheel swap. These trucks just look so dang good lowered. (y)

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
S-10, V-6 Low power?? Must be something specific to that 1st generation. My 03 had no trouble running at 70 or so down the I-35 Interstate the last time I took it to the states. Of course, that was how I found out that the exhaust system had Mickey Mouse for the fabricator/welder but hey, straight pipes at speed. Of course, the transmission helps in that it is a four speed, possibly a 4L60 and that last gear is under 1.00 so the rpms do drop quite nicely.

My buddy has the chassis of a Gen 1 S-10 in his shop and, if memory serves, the box on it looks more like a TH350. He was building a wooden bodied jeep/speedster out of it but shelved that in favor of a genuine Model A woody wagon with custom body by BOB. Were it me, I would be thinking about an S-10 V-6 mill in an A chassis but my mind runs in strange places mechanically at the best of times. He is also a purist with respect to what should be in what and has a four banger waiting. Me, I'd go looking for an Iron Duke and rock on.

Nick

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
S-10, V-6 Low power?? Must be something specific to that 1st generation. My 03 had no trouble running at 70 or so down the I-35 Interstate the last time I took it to the states. Of course, that was how I found out that the exhaust system had Mickey Mouse for the fabricator/welder but hey, straight pipes at speed. Of course, the transmission helps in that it is a four speed, possibly a 4L60 and that last gear is under 1.00 so the rpms do drop quite nicely.

My buddy has the chassis of a Gen 1 S-10 in his shop and, if memory serves, the box on it looks more like a TH350. He was building a wooden bodied jeep/speedster out of it but shelved that in favor of a genuine Model A woody wagon with custom body by BOB. Were it me, I would be thinking about an S-10 V-6 mill in an A chassis but my mind runs in strange places mechanically at the best of times. He is also a purist with respect to what should be in what and has a four banger waiting. Me, I'd go looking for an Iron Duke and rock on.

Nick
Skip the iron duke and go with the Mercruiser 3.0

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Another possibility, but the giggle factor of having someone peek under the hood, expecting to see some vanilla flavored generic motor, and get gobsmacked by the presence of the Duke, (ON your knees, Churl!!) is worth the extra bump and grind to get it bedded in.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor