REGAL Gas in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbrick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2021
Even if the 750 carb is too big it should still start and idle. If you are at 10 degrees BTDC or close it should start or last be firing.

Is it firing at all or just cranking?

If it's firing but just won't idle try adjusting the timing while someone is cranking it. Might also have to try to lean out the idle circuit if you're getting that much gas in it.
Hey thanks for replying. I'm feeling a little defeated any little bit of advice helps big time. So I threw new plugs replacing the fouled ones. I turned the key and it fires but sounds like it's missing and just won't stay idling on top of that it's blowing smoke out the back.

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
I would try moving the distributor one direction while someone is cranking it. If that doesn't work try the other direction and you might have to adjust the throttle while they are cranking it.

You should be able to tell pretty quick if adjusting the timing is helping or making it worse.

Reactions: 1 user

Gbrick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2021
I would try moving the distributor one direction while someone is cranking it. If that doesn't work try the other direction and you might have to adjust the throttle while they are cranking it.

You should be able to tell pretty quick if adjusting the timing is helping or making it worse.
Okay I'm gonna try it. I've done everything else at this point. You think that could be the issue of the smoke though? If it doesn't work I'm gonna push it into the bottom of the lake 😅.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
See it the float is adjusted properly easy to do on a Holley. All of them have a screw plug in the side of the bowl to check the level. If you cannot set the level properly the float is damaged or the needle and seat are damaged or have contaminates in them.

The smoke is likely from so much gas in the oil it has gone above the rings if you get the fuel under control it will quit smoking. Also if you have had the oil level that contaminated and that high in the engine a compression test it not going to be accurate.

I would not change any other settings till you get the fuel level under control, you are just confusing the issue and making things more difficult to diagnose. Figure out where the gas in the oil is coming from fix that. Get the float set, (Fuel pump maybe as mentioned above) get clean oil in it then change the plugs. Then determine where you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Gbrick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2021
See it the float is adjusted properly easy to do on a Holley. All of them have a screw plug in the side of the bowl to check the level. If you cannot set the level properly the float is damaged or the needle and seat are damaged or have contaminates in them.

The smoke is likely from so much gas in the oil it has gone above the rings if you get the fuel under control it will quit smoking. Also if you have had the oil level that contaminated and that high in the engine a compression test it not going to be accurate.

I would not change any other settings till you get the fuel level under control, you are just confusing the issue and making things more difficult to diagnose. Get the float set, (Fuel pump maybe as mentioned above) get clean oil in it then change the plugs. Then determine where you are.
So that's the thing. I have adjusted the floats and everything seems fine the fuel is just barely coming out the side of the bowls when I shake it. I did the compression test once I change the oil I didn't do it with the contaminated oil and fear of causing more damage to the cylinders because I was scared that I may have washed one of them. So I changed the oil change the filter and then did this compression test and then I threw a new sparks.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Has it run at all since then? Starter RPM often will not pump fuel so it needs to idle at least to be sure. If so what is the oil level now?

Was it running when you checked the float level?

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
Yeah I made sure I changed oil and filter before I did anything else
I have learned the hard way that gas it your oil can start a fire under your hood . I did think a little gas would do much more then thin your oil a bit but the fumes will exit out the breaths can start a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor