Gbody LS Swap Info

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I put a gen 4 6.0 in my 88 Supreme Classic. Engine is a LY6 short block with a Texas Speed Bald Eagle N/A cam, milled 243's and Holley multiport EFI 4150 intake. Holley fuel rails, 48lb injectors and throttle body. LS3 coil packs. ICT belt drive brackets for the truck water pump and balancer, then uses a F-body steering pump. Upgraded from a standard truck alternator to a Powermaster 1 wire 140amp alternator. RPM stage 2 4l80e with Circle D 3200 stall converter. Mounted it all in with SBC frame clam shells, UMI small block chevy mounts and ICT adjustable plates. Gforce trans crossmember and B&M cable and trans bracket for the shifter to work with the factory Floor shifter. Hooker mid length headers with Pypes x pipe, 2-1/2 inch Magnaflow mufflers and Mandrel Bent Solutions tail pipes. Rearend was beefed up to a 8.5, Eaton tru trac and Yukon 3.42 gear set and Mosier axles. Fuel system is the Holley Retrofit in tank pump with hydromat. I'm using the Holley Terminator X Max to control everything. Mounted the ECM under the radio where the ash tray used to live. Then redid the Cutlass gauge cluster and used all Holley EFI gauges that are controlled by the Terminator. Has been a very reliable setup. Cooling system is a Champion dual row with 1 inch tubes with 2 Spal 12" fans and aluminum shroud. I also used the Current Performance fan and Fuel pump relay setup to power them. Eventually going to add a vintage air A/C setup.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Can it be tuned with hp tuners?
Every brand requires it's own software. HPTuners is by far the most expensive and difficult software only because the stock PCM does so much more to meet emission and driveability issues for all ranges of driving.

All of the aftermarket is aimed at being user friendly. The tuning for a Microsquirt and Holley are so simple that they don't even compare to using a GM ECM and HP Tuners. Holley and the Micro/Megasquirt software (TunerStudio as wraith mentioned) are free. TunerStudio does charge a lifetime subscription of $50 to get the premium logging software, but you don't have to have it. But I'd recommend it.

Do some research though, a microsquirt with a reworked factory harness (very easy to 'rework' it) is by all means the cheapest, but (there is always a but), it has to run in wasted spark and batch fire, and cannot run an IAC. The 1st two won't affect performance in the least bit, but the lack of IAC requires some trial and error to get the car to start cold. It's not hard, but can be time consuming especially if you intend to be starting it cold when the ambient temps are below 20. If you go with an MS2 or MS3, then they both can run the IAC. If you go with an MS3X or MS3pro they both can handle the IAC, sequential injection and individual cylinder spark. https://www.diyautotune.com/ is where I've purchased all of my MS stuff. Between my son and I we have vehicles running a Microsquirt, Megasquirt 1 (now obsolete), Megasquirt 2 and an MS3X.

From a cost standpoint if you want to run the engine and 4L60/80 transmission, then the Holley Term X is the cheapest which is why I'm running one of them a well.

• Agree

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Every brand requires it's own software. HPTuners is by far the most expensive and difficult software only because the stock PCM does so much more to meet emission and driveability issues for all ranges of driving.

All of the aftermarket is aimed at being user friendly. The tuning for a Microsquirt and Holley are so simple that they don't even compare to using a GM ECM and HP Tuners. Holley and the Micro/Megasquirt software (TunerStudio as wraith mentioned) are free. TunerStudio does charge a lifetime subscription of $50 to get the premium logging software, but you don't have to have it. But I'd recommend it.

Do some research though, a microsquirt with a reworked factory harness (very easy to 'rework' it) is by all means the cheapest, but (there is always a but), it has to run in wasted spark and batch fire, and cannot run an IAC. The 1st two won't affect performance in the least bit, but the lack of IAC requires some trial and error to get the car to start cold. It's not hard, but can be time consuming especially if you intend to be starting it cold when the ambient temps are below 20. If you go with an MS2 or MS3, then they both can run the IAC. If you go with an MS3X or MS3pro they both can handle the IAC, sequential injection and individual cylinder spark. https://www.diyautotune.com/ is where I've purchased all of my MS stuff. Between my son and I we have vehicles running a Microsquirt, Megasquirt 1 (now obsolete), Megasquirt 2 and an MS3X.

From a cost standpoint if you want to run the engine and 4L60/80 transmission, then the Holley Term X is the cheapest which is why I'm running one of them a well.
Get a dominator, only use 3 inputs and outputs on an NA build.

beaman-man.gif

• Haha

Jaybo78

n00b
Apr 5, 2022
Thank all you guys so much. It's a project me and my son is doing together. Y'all's input and experience are excellent resources that I'm sure I'll be diving deeper and deeper into as this progresses. Rock on!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Get a dominator, only use 3 inputs and outputs on an NA build.
OMG I've seen this. These people belong to the 'money is no object' club. Of course they have the 12" Prodash as well. $4k in two parts so they can use an aftermarket door lock or power window with a 'virtual' switch.

FYI - I keep getting denied membership into that club.

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
OMG I've seen this. These people belong to the 'money is no object' club. Of course they have the 12" Prodash as well. $4k in two parts so they can use an aftermarket door lock or power window with a 'virtual' switch.

FYI - I keep getting denied membership into that club.
I'll send you some of his videos on the Gram. Funny as hell.

Reactions: 1 user

britishedx

n00b
Nov 1, 2022
Nice thread .
Loving the forum so far. Nice, knowledgeable people. Hard to come by it seems.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor