Gbody oil light and battery light issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert714

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2020
Anaheim ca
So I replaced alternator again I checked it with voltmeter car being off it reads 12 volts and when I turn it on it reads 12 volts until I gas it and the battery light comes on then it reads 14.50 volts and also the oil choke light still on any suggestions
I also remove positive terminal and it shuts off right away ?
Last time someone mention fusible link the one on the cable to alternator any body know how to change it or where I can find one ?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I also remove positive terminal and it shuts off right away ?
Yeah, don't do that. Fusible links are on the positive side, which means you have voltage since the idiot lights come on; I doubt you have one blown. It sounds more like a ground problem. Clean and thoroughly check all the grounds, paying special attention to the battery to body, engine to body (center of firewall), engine to frame, and battery to engine. If those all check out, there are (2) 10mm bolts above the e-brake. One shuld have some ground rings on it.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
last time I had this backwards......on the alternator 2 plug harness #1 pin needs 12v to excite the alternator. The #1 pin is a ground until the alternartor starts to charge and turns #1 pin to + which turns off the alternator warning light which is just a resistor. You can run a 12v switched wire to the #1 pin with a resistor in the wire to the #1 pin.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
last time I had this backwards......on the alternator 2 plug harness #1 pin needs 12v to excite the alternator. The #1 pin is a ground until the alternartor starts to charge and turns #1 pin to + which turns off the alternator warning light which is just a resistor. You can run a 12v switched wire to the #1 pin with a resistor in the wire to the #1 pin.
If you flip the plug over, 1 becomes 2 and 2 becomes 1.....:popcorn:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor