Gbody oil light and battery light issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
The battery negative has been known to be attached to the alternator bracket. It needs to be at least on the head, intake, or block.
Mine was on the alternator bracket until it came loose and fried the small wire grounded to the fender because of the tremendous amperage wanting to return to the battery. Now it is connected to the thermostat housing.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Mine was on the alternator bracket until it came loose and fried the small wire grounded to the fender because of the tremendous amperage wanting to return to the battery. Now it is connected to the thermostat housing.
why tstat? no other holes? :p

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Albert714

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2020
Anaheim ca
The oil light means swap in a Buick 350 :D

i jest

If it's a 231, it's probably about to die. The 231 had an electric choke switched on by an oil pressure switch in the bock above the oil filter. 4psi of oil pressure closes the normally (when off) open circuit and feeds power from the fuse box through the switch to the choke. So, if the car is running, power to the choke. Cant run battery dead leaving key on or prematurely open choke by accident.

That light only comes on if there is a break in that simple circuit (or the choke element is bad, choke flap will be uh... flappy, even with the engine warm) and isnt holding the choke open. Or the engine is about to die. Or someone monkeyed with the wires.

if it's a 5.0 oldsmobile v8, weak oil pump is the only case as they use a hot air choke. no electricity there.

Also, tell us a little about the car. What engine, is it still stock, etc. Help us narrow down the issue.
Car runs fine I bought almost 2 years ago originally car had a v8 previous owner swapped a v6 in it it’s been running good till the alternator went out all this started

Albert714

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2020
Anaheim ca
The problem is: that's the exact opposite of how it's spoda work. Does the light go out if you unplug the 2 pin on the side while it's running? My take is this: the battery is crap- probably a shorted cell. New alternator goes in, battery kills alternator, light comes on. Yes, 14.5v is correct, BUT your battery should rest closer to 13.2-.8, not 12.75.
I have a brand new yellow top optima battery and a regular group 78 battery and the alternator is new I swapped it out already 3 times

Albert714

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2020
Anaheim ca
The oil light means swap in a Buick 350 :D

i jest

If it's a 231, it's probably about to die. The 231 had an electric choke switched on by an oil pressure switch in the bock above the oil filter. 4psi of oil pressure closes the normally (when off) open circuit and feeds power from the fuse box through the switch to the choke. So, if the car is running, power to the choke. Cant run battery dead leaving key on or prematurely open choke by accident.

That light only comes on if there is a break in that simple circuit (or the choke element is bad, choke flap will be uh... flappy, even with the engine warm) and isnt holding the choke open. Or the engine is about to die. Or someone monkeyed with the wires.

if it's a 5.0 oldsmobile v8, weak oil pump is the only case as they use a hot air choke. no electricity there.

Also, tell us a little about the car. What engine, is it still stock, etc. Help us narrow down the issue.
Yes it’s completely stock 231 v6
Never had an issue before except it kinda jerking here and there while driving like if it wanted to bog out like if i was gassing it and stop I’m not sure if this make sense

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The alternator is basic wiring and easy to check

ChargeCircuit-702x1024.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
use a small bulb in a socket and attach one wire to the B stud on the alternator and the other attach it to the #1 on the alternator. The light should be on, start the engine and the light should go out and the alternator charging. If that works then the problem is the alternator is not getting excited

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor