GBody Rear Disk Brake upgrade... detailed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
This is a new video series, I am doing. This is how I do the rear brake upgrade and how I have done it... will try to go all the way through, up to and including the ebrake... left video long and mainly unedited to show how hard, or NOT HARD this is to do! The more you are willing to do yourself, the more you will save. I will do a bit of a write up, again!, when video portions are done... my other thread shows how much you can get these parts for and how much you can save... I will be pulling a disc/disc prop valve out the yard too, to show which one will work as a direct bolt on (or ill buy it new)... hopefully you will enjoy and appreciate...

If you have a better way to do it, or feel like saying something negative, then upload your own how-to video and shows us all YOUR way!

Part 1
[youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]

Part 3
[youtube]

FAQ (answer by either myself or guys i trust):
axisg said:
87ttop said:
Does this upgrade work for 15 inch 87 442 rallies

No. I have not seen any steel 15" wheels that will clear.
Over the years we ( 4 gbody owners that I know have installed the LS1 rear brakes ) have tried just about every 15" GM wheel we got our hands on.

What we tried and confirmed would not fit were
-chrome GN, steel MonteSS ( 83+84), S10 rally, Chrome 442, 70's Disco Firebird, corvette rally ( they all would hit the caliper )
** I didnt have a 15" 1980 - Z28 wheel to try but would like to hear back from someone who has

What did fit were the 15" GM aluminum wheels as they have a much flatter backside
-I run the Aluminum MonteSS Wheels (85-88) on my car
-A Freind runs the early 15" Grand National Turbine Style on his Cutlass,
-the S10/Sonoma 5 spoke alum wheel.
-we also had a 15" "american racing /centreline" wheel which cleared as well

Otherwise you need to step up to a 16" wheel. 2 other friends opted for the zq8 wheels on their cars with this brake package.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
its great that you take the time to video, edit then post all the work required. My hat's off to you !

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
axisg said:
its great that you take the time to video, edit then post all the work required. My hat's off to you !
thank you... almost done with the mod... just gotta throw the axles back in, slip the rotors on, bolt the calipers on, and cut two shock re locators out of angle iron, the hard part, if there was any, is done...

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
it does look easy to do know with the vids....nice!!!!

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
thats awesome man... so easy to do wish i knew about this 3 years ago i would have done this instead of paying 180 each for gm backing plates stock for my car... damn, great vid very very useful but thats another project down the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor