Gear Pattern.... yay or nay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
Yes to the thinner pinion shim - a bunch. At least .004 thinner and see how it goes from there.

I'll give a brief (yeah right) description of how I setup a set of gears.

1st - determine how much shim is needed on the carrier for zero side to side movement. This is most easily done by setting it up a minor bit loose, say .002-.004", and then adding the exact amount of the looseness and confirming that you have zero end play when that number is installed. And you want zero to -.001 of end play. No more, no less. Measuring the factory shims that came out is usually right where you need to be if using a good set of new races and bearings. Once you know this, then take out .002 to .004" so that the carrier goes in and out easily when checking the pattern - I prefer .002"

2nd - make a setup bearing for the inner pinion bearing - SAME brand as the final brand of bearing you'll be using. If you don't know how to make this bearing fit properly, then say so.

3rd - find the original pinion shim and measure it. Don't trust a number on it, make sure you know the exact dimension of it.

4th - get a pad and make a column for pinion shim, gear lash, left carrier shim, right carrier shim, and result.

Trial and error time :

5th - install the original pinion shim with the setup bearing and original carrier bearing shims (if close to zero side play) and check.

6th-20th - lather rinse repeat until the drive side is perfect. If the coast side is terrible when the drive side is perfect, then move the pinion .001 in one direction and adjust the gear lash according until the coast side is OK.

7th-21st - install the correct carrier shims for zero to -.001" end play and recheck - this needs to be spot on as this is the last chance at adjusting the pinion.

8th-22nd - install the final inner pinion bearing and slap it all together and look at it crosseyed once or twice, then recheck the pattern. It'll be great.

Do not get tangled up in super tight backlash, .012" is fine and anything closer than .008" is risking making a whiner in the back seat. The drive side pattern is of ultimate importance, unless you plan to drive in reverse most of the time. Lastly and most importantly, patience is a virtue with this. I've put them together with perfect patterns on both sides on the 1st whack (rarely), but it happens. I've also had them take 20+ 'apart and back together' before I felt OK. Make sure the ring gear is seated completely and correctly as well. Good luck - Jim.
OK Jim. I appreciate all the advoce and help sir. I will get back at it this week and when I think the patterns looks good I will let ya know. I have the set up bearings all made up and, Got my kit from Ratech so KOYO bearings are good, and the same. I will def keep that gear lash a little looseer than I have it now, and keep my patience for sure! Thanks again to all who have throewn in their knowledge!

Reactions: 1 user

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
A5049105-63F5-4CE9-9D47-ED90E6420845.jpeg
37B86C51-740B-41E2-83D6-6C3BB0F7156A.jpeg
28B8F4E9-1B6B-4974-9A95-DDC6FAFCDB57.jpeg

I took it to a .006 thinner pinion depth and backlash at .012. Carrier at .000 and I think it's still a litttle heavy on the toe..... thoughts???

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
.12 for the backlash is way too much, also looking at the pin get yourself a 6 point 5/16" wrench. I use the brake bleeder wrench that has a 5/16" 6 point end

you can't check the pattern till you have all adjustments within specs.

Last edited:

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
.12 for the backlash is way too much, also looking at the pin get yourself a 6 point 5/16" wrench. I use the brake bleeder wrench that has a 5/16" 6 point end

you can't check the pattern till you have all adjustments within specs.
It's at .012, not .12

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
That is still too much. Typical backlash is a max of .007"
Spec is .006-.010 and others like nailhead say .012 is ok. I guess it's all in the pattern. I'll try and set it tighter maybe. Thanks for the input!

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Spec is .006-.010 and others like nailhead say .012 is ok. I guess it's all in the pattern. I'll try and set it tighter maybe. Thanks for the input!

While you have it apart, tighten it up. It doesn't take much to make it right. You don't want it to be sloppy

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
my .12 was an obvious typo but .012 is still too much, is your crown gear a 2 cut or a 5 cut?. The backlash specs are different between the two
Looks like it's a 5 cut. I'll check the spec difference and adjust accordingly. Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor