Gear Pattern.... yay or nay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I found this article that seems to have some good info......the 2 cuts are most common

and for the specs

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Take apart a couple of hundred used gear sets and you'll find wayyyyyy more 0.012"-0.015"" setups than 0.008".

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Take apart a couple of hundred used gear sets and you'll find wayyyyyy more 0.012"-0.015"" setups than 0.008".

x2^2

.010-.012" is guaranteed to work without any noise or wear issues.

Respectfully to those that disagree, if the OP is using stock gears, used gears, or Eaton or Dana gears for a stock application, then .008" is the tightest to go. If you're using a gear that requires them to be setup less than .006", then send them back if this is a street car. You'll be so sick of the noise that you'll change them. If you google Richmond Gear noise, then you'll see what I mean.

Regarding aftermarket gears, not needed unless you want to tell your buddies that you have x, y or z brand gears. If that's your thing, then great, but I'm an 'on the cheap guy' that would rather spend money on items that have an effect mostly because I'm always on a budget lol (implying broke :) ).

Junior's Cutty is running Motive budget gears that are setup at .010"; 15K + miles at 600+ whp without turning up the boost without issue. An old mechanic's saying, if your gear lash are too loose, then you'll know it, if it's too tight, then everyone will know.

My two cents - take it or leave it :):) and good luck.

Jim

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
Just to clarify, they are USED gears, but they are GM. So not to worried about the quality. I def don't want a ton of noise, but a little would no tbe that big of deal. Its gonna be a town cruiser, very little highwaay miles if any. Just a streetlight to streetlight racer. But I still want to set it up the correct way so when I upgrade to a better diff and gears I want to know how. All the information and advice is greatly appreciated and I wil take all I can get. I will keep adding pics as I go and ask all the questions I can think of. I am going to use a thinner pinion shim and probally keep the backlash around .008-.012 for the time being. Then see shat the pattern looks like.
Thanks again everyone!!

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Just to clarify, they are USED gears, but they are GM. So not to worried about the quality. I def don't want a ton of noise, but a little would no tbe that big of deal. Its gonna be a town cruiser, very little highwaay miles if any. Just a streetlight to streetlight racer. But I still want to set it up the correct way so when I upgrade to a better diff and gears I want to know how. All the information and advice is greatly appreciated and I wil take all I can get. I will keep adding pics as I go and ask all the questions I can think of. I am going to use a thinner pinion shim and probally keep the backlash around .008-.012 for the time being. Then see shat the pattern looks like.
Thanks again everyone!!

If I were you I would get on eBay and give $5 for yellow marking compound. The blue ain’t getting it. Your pattern would be more obvious...........to me anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
If I were you I would get on eBay and give $5 for yellow marking compound. The blue ain’t getting it. Your pattern would be more obvious...........to me anyway.
Good Suggestion500/600. I def will be getting some better marking compound. Thanks man!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If those are used GM gears didn't they come with the pinion and carrier shims?

Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Even if they came out of another housing the pinion shim that came with it should be very very close. The carrier shims are the easy part. I have a set of adjustable carrier shims that do wonders for a perfect setup. And hundreds of standard shims. If you know the exact thickness and OD that you need to get your setup perfect I probably have it and probably would give it to a good cause!

• Agree
  • Friendly

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
Yes I did get the shims with the gears. I am Spot on with the carrier gears, and the pinion shim tjhat came with them is a .036 (yes I checked it) and the pinion shim that cme out of the diff I am using was a .038. And I now I am using a pinion shim of .030 thickness and still think it needs to be thinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor