Gearing questions 7.5 rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
I’ll have to check I didn’t know I would have any resistor the stock motor was the 83 Buick 3.8 I don’t remember if it was HEI or not the 350 has a msd ready to run distributor and blaster coil and the tach I’m using is the rally pack one with the v8 jumper soldered in
060134669d51d10262e98214309ce119.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
I’ll have to check everything about my tach because I manually shifted through the gears and then verified the speedo again and unless I expect way more than I should from a taller rear gear it’s all that make sense because the trans shifted into second and 3rd but still was around 2800 rpm at 60.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It is impossible that your revs are that high unless your transmission is slipping real bad

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
if the jumper is a resistor remove it and bridge it with a piece of wire, or just bridge the two middle pins on board would be easiest

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Ok so the bottom is the correct two leads to be connected for the v8 setting?

Also is there anyway maybe the tach output from my
Ready to run distributor could be causing it or something?

I mean at idle the tach reads 900-1000

Guess I’ll have to write down the RPM at other speeds and other gears to see if the rear gear stays the same or changes because that will give me an idea of wether or not the tach is the problem.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
take the cover off and look to see what the rear end gears are....

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
That part I’ve been trying to avoid though I may have to. If it is in fact a taller gear I may cry because there goes my last hope for actually waking up this occasional dog.

Does the sound seem to match the tach reading? Trying to figure out if there is something wrong with my tach in the between time when I can’t take time to work on the car

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That part I’ve been trying to avoid though I may have to. If it is in fact a taller gear I may cry because there goes my last hope for actually waking up this occasional dog.

Does the sound seem to match the tach reading? Trying to figure out if there is something wrong with my tach in the between time when I can’t take time to work on the car

if you have not removed the cover you have no idea what condition the oil is in or if the oil level is low or how the gears look.....a rear end is often overlooked when it comes to maintance but if it drags for whatever reason it costs you HP and gas milage

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor