Gearing questions 7.5 rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
if you have not removed the cover you have no idea what condition the oil is in or if the oil level is low or how the gears look.....a rear end is often overlooked when it comes to maintance but if it drags for whatever reason it costs you HP and gas milage

Yea I intended to get in there soon i have new axle tube seals because mine are leaking so I probably will while I’m in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yea I intended to get in there soon i have new axle tube seals because mine are leaking so I probably will while I’m in there.

if your axles seals are leaking that is usually caused by a grove worn into the axle by the axle bearing. If there is a grove they sell axle saving bearings which ride further out on the axle. The seal is incorporated into the bearing. This is what they look like....

51BjSRsHgZL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Well dang I was hoping it was as simple as just doing the seal I’ll have to look into that.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
If for argument sake I had 3.23 gears would it still feel like a dog from a stop?

From speaking to my dad the person he bought it from said it was his elderly moms car and the motor locked up every single thing about it when we got it was stock so I doubt anyone changed the gears so I must have misread the axle tube somehow or my tach is wrong

Which would be kinda weird because from what I understand it would have to be almost 1k rpm off and considering it idles at 1k rpm that would be bizarre unless of course how much the tach is off changes as it spins.

Sounds like I can’t escape it counting the teeth needs to be done to figure this out now just to find time.

Once I pull the diff cover I need a gasket and what type of gear oil?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Well dang I was hoping it was as simple as just doing the seal I’ll have to look into that.

you have to remove the axle to change the seal and if you have to do the bearing it just takes a few more minutes. To remove to bearing just put the axle shaft in the bearing just so it is just past the inside edge, then you just pry the bearing out...

Reactions: 1 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
you have to remove the axle to change the seal and if you have to do the bearing it just takes a few more minutes. To remove to bearing just put the axle shaft in the bearing just so it is just past the inside edge, then you just pry the bearing out...

Oh [emoji55]I thought it needed a slide hammer

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Ok that makes a lot more sense. That’s what I heard I was wondering why people were telling me the hard way if there is a better way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor