GM lover, i urge all of you now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1979 Ford Bronco XLT Ranger was $8200 brand new in 1979 & is built tough. Todays trucks & vehicles are complete junk & way overpriced!!! GET RID OF NO GOOD UNIONS !!!!!!! bye bye

81malibag said:
My 1979 Ford Bronco XLT Ranger was $8200 brand new in 1979 & is built tough. Todays trucks & vehicles are complete junk & way overpriced!!! GET RID OF NO GOOD UNIONS !!!!!!! bye bye

It depends on what you buy. My abused Nissan truck has 308,000 miles, and only goes through a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. Compression is still good, and it starts every time. I rarely ever have any problems with it, and when I do, it is cheap to repair. The miles are not highway either, they are city pizza delivery miles done in the suburbs. (Yes, I am the original owner.) It was not union built, but your Ford was.

I don't know why everyones bashing GM here I have so many gm cars that have been nothing but good to me. My 93 cavillear has 135k on it and other then belts, oil, plugs, an alternator, and a muffler everything is orig. Supposedly 70s cars sucked all of mine are well over 100k and I wouldn't be suprised if they hit 150. My sister beats the hell out of her 96 camaro with a 3800 in it and its got 150 on it and won't die. Sure there was chevettes, citations, and olds diesels along the way but so many cars were good. And then people knock ford how many lincoln limos have you heard of with mileage over 200k. My friends dad had a town car with 550k when the 4.6 gave up. So don't be brain washed by the backlash of a few bad vehicles. We can't let the us automakers go under not only do we loose part of our culture but thousands of jobs. If you think the economy is poor now think of a few hundred thousand people gooing for unemployment. Not to mention if were left with only imports don't be suprised when u see a $50k civic and a $150k bmw. Its basically the end of the world if they go under. Reconstruction yes but allowing them to go under is just foolish.

150k miles isn't exactly a lot these days. Most Kia's can do that. In fact, if a car can't go at least 200k without a major drivetrain failure nowadays, it's pretty much garbage. I expect 300-400k out of any new car I would buy. Otherwise, it's just a waste of money. ( I have over 300k on my daily driven Nissan, 200k of that on the original clutch. Pretty good for a truck that has been used since new mostly to deliver pizza.)

Also, most "imports" are built in North America, not Europe, Japan or Korea. As for a $50k Civic, it's not gonna happen because no one could afford it.

I did mechanical work for 5 years before I started doing bodywork/restoration, and the Kia's I would see in for repairs or service would be literally falling to pieces at about 100K... coincidentally the same mileage that the warranty expires...

A good car should hit 200K with no major expences other than routine maintanence.

Heck, my all original '79 Malibu has 225K on it...

And when you hear of a car having major problems before that point, don't be so quick to blame the vehicle or manufacturer. The owner is in complete control of how long that car lasts, and driving the sh*t out of it and not maintaining it properly will greatly reduce the life of a car.

My 2000 Dodge Stratus went to 205,000 miles without any problems whatsoever. As soon as I fix the deer imprint in the front i plan on going for 300,000. My 98 Ram 1500 has 175,000 and still has the original clutch. The only problem i have had is a crappy set of headers that i put on it. The original 305 in my GP made 195,000 and i ran the piss out of it when i was a teen. I maintain them properly and have no expensive repair issues.[except the GP, but that is a whole different deal!] I also know people with similar vehicles and they have nothing but problams,but these are the people that won't stop for 15 minutes to get an oil change. I don't care what it is, if you maintain it and treat it properly, you can get 150-200,000 miles no problem. My girlfriends 91 Mazda barely saw basic maintainence until i got ahold of it and it clicked off 200K without a sniffle and still runs great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor