Goldie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjarbau95

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2022
Elyria, OH
Welcome, looks like you have some good plans for it. Before dropping the big bucks on a new crate, might consider some other options. The dashs are notorious for that, I like both the grey and black options. That was my original plan but decided to stick with the blue interior, I went a little too crazy with trying to modernize my car
I have considered other options, junk yard 350 swaps, ls swaps. I kinda hop around on ideas engine wise because it’s a long time coming before I decide to swap. I’m considering the big bucks because of the credit building aspect. (Rebuilding my credit) I’ve considered buying a totaled 1500 Silverado and going that route. But I’m not dead set on a method yet. and interior wise I’m not exactly sure how to put it into words what I want. I’ll be happy to find a donor car with mildly decent interior that I could cleanup sand and paint maybe recover the original bench seat? maybe a fiberglass finish with a nice glossy paint on the dash? Like I said I want it to look as OG as possible with tiny touches of modernization. Im trying to DIY this as much as possible. But It’s hard to explain but I have an idea in my head what I want to do to it. Just hard to say it rather than do it. Nothing digital, besides a radio. New stereo all around. (Nothing insane). I really would like to stay carbureted though. I just like simplicity hope this makes sense

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I’ll be happy to find a donor car with mildly decent interior that I could cleanup sand and paint maybe recover the original bench seat? maybe a fiberglass finish with a nice glossy paint on the dash? Like I said I want it to look as OG as possible with tiny touches of modernization. Im trying to DIY this as much as possible.
Most interior parts from any '78-'88 Monte, '78-'81 Malibu & door panel forward of the '78-'87 El Camino will work for your needs. Keep in mind '82 up cars have column wiper switches. As for a glossy dash, it'll need to be a low glare/low gloss for reduce sun glare. Other A/G's could have a set of seats you might like. Search the fourm to see what all we all added to modernize a few features.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I have considered other options, junk yard 350 swaps, ls swaps. I kinda hop around on ideas engine wise because it’s a long time coming before I decide to swap. I’m considering the big bucks because of the credit building aspect. (Rebuilding my credit) I’ve considered buying a totaled 1500 Silverado and going that route. But I’m not dead set on a method yet. and interior wise I’m not exactly sure how to put it into words what I want. I’ll be happy to find a donor car with mildly decent interior that I could cleanup sand and paint maybe recover the original bench seat? maybe a fiberglass finish with a nice glossy paint on the dash? Like I said I want it to look as OG as possible with tiny touches of modernization. Im trying to DIY this as much as possible. But It’s hard to explain but I have an idea in my head what I want to do to it. Just hard to say it rather than do it. Nothing digital, besides a radio. New stereo all around. (Nothing insane). I really would like to stay carbureted though. I just like simplicity hope this makes sense
Depending on cost you could also look at just using what you have and fix the cracks once you pull the dash and other pieces. Then paint them to make them look a lot better

tjarbau95

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2022
Elyria, OH
Depending on cost you could also look at just using what you have and fix the cracks once you pull the dash and other pieces. Then paint them to make them look a lot better
I’ve considered that as well. I’ve got nothing but time but sometimes I’m impatient. Don’t really want that to be the case but it does happen lol. I will admit though, I am pretty good with a spray paint can. But not so much Fiberglass or body filler, never used body filler but I imagine it’s similar to patching holes in a wall. And I’m decent at that. I’ve only worked with Fiberglass once in my life. Looked like sh*t lol

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I’ve considered that as well. I’ve got nothing but time but sometimes Iy ’m impatient. Don’t really want that to be the case but it does happen lol. I will admit though, I am pretty good with a spray paint can. But not so much Fiberglass or body filler, never used body filler but I imagine it’s similar to patching holes in a wall. And I’m decent at that. I’ve only worked with Fiberglass once in my life. Looked like sh*t lol
Here's some inspiration, the Monte when I got it and what I turned it into. Honestly it was the first time I ever messed with an interior other than switching out panels in my GTO to go from OEM black to blue. Taking the dash out and following some of the YouTube videos will get you further than you think.
20160328_162905.JPG
20200528_194953.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
To me it's one of two things depending on the donor car/truck:

1. If you find a SBC donor b/a/g/f-body, then buy L31 long block ($2k), an intake, and a Holly TBI. Return the donor long block as a core, use accessories (alt, flex plate, etc). Use the TH250 until it breaks. When it does, buy a 2004R or 700R4 from Jasper, and change rear gear/carrier to 3.08 - 3.42 Eaton Posi from quickperformance. See if you can bolt up the V6 2-into-1 y-pipe to get it down the road.

2. If you find '98-14 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L the main choice is engine mounts. You can get a legit ECM from PSI Conversion for $200 with emissions/VAT delete; mount on top of the inner fender. Replace all the sensors, ebay/Amazon muscle car oil pan, see if exhaust manifolds from a LS1 GTO will clear with your mounts. Problem clearance areas are going to be steering pump vs. steering box and head vs. HVAC. I'd keep it throttle-by cable with OEM LS1 throttle body. If it's got oil pressure and the trans doesn't slip, send it. The details will nickel-and-dime you with this option and you will be lucky to spend < $5K.

Last edited:

tjarbau95

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2022
Elyria, OH
Here's some inspiration, the Monte when I got it and what I turned it into. Honestly it was the first time I ever messed with an interior other than switching out panels in my GTO to go from OEM black to blue. Taking the dash out and following some of the YouTube videos will get you further than you think.
View attachment 197688 View attachment 197687
In my best Owen Wilson voice wow

Reactions: 1 user

tjarbau95

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2022
Elyria, OH
To me it's one of two things depending on the donor car/truck:

1. If you find a SBC donor b/a/g/f-body, then buy L31 long block ($2k), an intake, and a Holly TBI. Return the donor long block as a core, use accessories (alt, flex plate, etc). Use the TH250 until it breaks. When it does, buy a 2004R or 700R4 from Jasper, and change rear gear/carrier to 3.08 - 3.42 Eaton Posi from quickperformance. See if you can bolt up the V6 2-into-1 y-pipe to get it down the road.

2. If you find '98-14 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L the main choice is engine mounts. You can get a legit ECM from PSI Conversion for $200 with emissions/VAT delete; mount on top of the inner fender. Replace all the sensors, ebay/Amazon muscle car oil pan, see if exhaust manifolds from a LS1 GTO will clear with your mounts. Problem clearance areas are going to be steering pump vs. steering box and head vs. HVAC. I'd keep it throttle-by cable with OEM LS1 throttle body. If it's got oil pressure and the trans doesn't slip, send it. The details will nickel-and-dime you with this option and you will be lucky to spend < $5K.
I’m uploading a video to YT of the Monte. Will post a link to the video when it’s uploaded, underneath inside and out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor