Goldie

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
car-part.com is going to be handy for you. Just be warned it is a slippery slope, if I were you I would look at buying a used dash from that website of junkyards and fixing it before it goes in. That way you can paint it the way you want it to be, I think your door panels are acceptable the way they are. I would just take them off and sand then wash them down before you paint them. I am with you on the anti chrome deal, completely up to you but body work will add up quick. For the time being I personally would scuff all the trim since its not in great shape and just plasti dip it so you get the effect you want while you focus on the more important parts. Which is likely the rear rails, G bodies are notorious for that rot espicially as you said up here in OH/PA. That is the first thing I would probably get into and fix just because its a major part of the car. Since you daily it then its gonna be hard to pull apart as you go

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

tjarbau95

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2022
Elyria, OH
car-part.com is going to be handy for you. Just be warned it is a slippery slope, if I were you I would look at buying a used dash from that website of junkyards and fixing it before it goes in. That way you can paint it the way you want it to be, I think your door panels are acceptable the way they are. I would just take them off and sand then wash them down before you paint them. I am with you on the anti chrome deal, completely up to you but body work will add up quick. For the time being I personally would scuff all the trim since its not in great shape and just plasti dip it so you get the effect you want while you focus on the more important parts. Which is likely the rear rails, G bodies are notorious for that rot espicially as you said up here in OH/PA. That is the first thing I would probably get into and fix just because its a major part of the car. Since you daily it then its gonna be hard to pull apart as you go
Yeah my plan was to park it inside come winter, replace frame rails and do some other tasks over the winter. Enjoy it in the summer, then keep repeating the cycle. There will probably be one summer I won’t drive it. Especially when I decide to drop a motor in. Just do it little bits at a time till I can’t. I have a second vehicle. But this thing runs way better then my other vehicle due to it not running

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Yeah my plan was to park it inside come winter, replace frame rails and do some other tasks over the winter. Enjoy it in the summer, then keep repeating the cycle. There will probably be one summer I won’t drive it. Especially when I decide to drop a motor in. Just do it little bits at a time till I can’t. I have a second vehicle. But this thing runs way better then my other vehicle due to it not running
That frame rot... I could not fix that with my skill set. Lots of guys here, like the Canadians, make frame-off look easy.

tjarbau95

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2022
Elyria, OH
That frame rot... I could not fix that with my skill set. Lots of guys here, like the Canadians, make frame-off look easy

That’s because when you live in Canada there’s nothing to do when you get snowed in eh? Go hunt for moose and work on the g body, mint.

I got access to a lift and welder. But I have considered paying somebody to do this. As I can’t weld. But me being in the machinist trade I do know people who can. I could probably pay some dude 100 bucks and a case of Busch light to do it for me honestly. Most welders I know work for food and alcohol lol. My uncle has been wanting me to drop this thing off at his house so he can start tearing it down and prepping but I’d honestly rather wait for winter

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Yeah I hear you, build season always seems to get away from me. But you could def let your uncle do some of the stuff he wants while you address the interior. You going to attend the G Body Classic up in Cleveland this summer?

Reactions: 1 user

tjarbau95

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2022
Elyria, OH
Yeah I hear you, build season always seems to get away from me. But you could def let your uncle do some of the stuff he wants while you address the interior. You going to attend the G Body Classic up in Cleveland this summer?
I have thought about it. I trust the engine to make it. Although I fear of the MC falling apart like herbie though as I drive it there. Maybe though. Depends on my work schedule

tjarbau95

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2022
Elyria, OH
I have thought about it. I trust the engine to make it. Although I fear of the MC falling apart like herbie though as I drive it there. Maybe though. Depends on my work schedule
My uncle isn’t the most timely. It would be still torn apart 15 years from now. The only reason his project is finished is because he purchased his truck that way. But he doesn’t have a G body. He’s got an 82 R Model Mack. I did jokingly suggest us hauling Goldie on the mack to the show. But I’d piss a lot of people off if I did that. Especially myself cause that’s a bumpy ride. I’d be all over the cab of that thing. Cleveland is maybe 35 minutes from me

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Your colors are from what I can see is Dark Camel (69) for the exterior with the interior being Camel Tan (62) with it being vinyl (62W). These will be on the cowl plate/Fisher Body plate at the base of the windshield on the driver's side. Most of the interior is repoped & available in many colors if new is needed. As for blacking out, my opinion it's over done, The right amount of chrome/bright work can break up things. An option is in place of black use a dark charcoal or gunmetal to recolor trim.
Here's some GM info for your '78
https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...ts/Monte-Carlo/1978-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo.pdf

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Your colors are from what I can see is Dark Camel (69) for the exterior with the interior being Camel Tan (62) with it being vinyl (62W). These will be on the cowl plate/Fisher Body plate at the base of the windshield on the driver's side. Most of the interior is repoped & available in many colors if new is needed. As for blacking out, my opinion it's over done, The right amount of chrome/bright work can break up things. An option is in place of black use a dark charcoal or gunmetal to recolor trim.
Here's some GM info for your '78
https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...ts/Monte-Carlo/1978-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo.pdf
Hey you can't give away my color, hahahaha

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
At the old man’s grave
Welcome to GBF from Seattle, Wa.
I applaud you for taking it to your step-dad's grave sight.
My 41000 mile '79 El Camino was purchased by both my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, then given to my wife and I in 2013. When my mother-in-law passed away in 2017, I drove it to her funeral service in honor of her. She was an amazing mother-in-law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor