Goodbye. Probably my last post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well good luck on whatever you do next, and for everyone suggesting he learn himself up his biggest prob was having no where to work on his car legaly, not the knowledge thats why he has to go go to a shop. Its great that a few of us are willing to help out thats why i like this forum. But you can have the greatest team but with no where to play your stuck kicking a can down the street. Since you have no where to work on it, no where to store it i am all for you passing it on to some one that has the means to finish it sometime<has a place to work on it, or at least store it etc> the crushing thing i dont get though, better off selling it to a kid in auto shop with big dreams if your going the crushing route.

Wade

topendperformance said:
Was just wondering how you have over 20 grand i n your ride? :?

lol now I never said it was well invested 20k, but still 20k. here's a rough breakdown (about a 3 year period):

$ 1500 - car
$ 2500 - rear rebuilt (yeah, I know. But in my defense I had the 7.5 rebuilt before I found this site)
$ 1500 - Edelbrock rear set up
$ 500 - having the rear and new Edelbrock stuff installed (rear came from a previous g-body)
$ 280 - speedo gears changed (yeah I got f*cked on that one, but my bad for not asking what it would cost first)
$ 1200 - brakes all redone
$ 1000 - (give or take $100, I can't remember exactly)front end redone, including new springs, and all 4 shocks
$ 1000 - wheel and tire set up
$ 800 - exhaust
$ 6000 - for the 355 and so called expert install
$ 300 - MSD StreeFire HEI and wires
$ 600 - for the rebuild 700r4 and 2400 converter (seems like a good deal, but it came from the 'expert mechanic')
$ 1200 - new B&M TH350 and 2400 stall
$ 350 - to have the old exhaust hooked to the new headers
---------
$18730

Plus there's lots of other little things like rebuilding the carb, tune up stuff it needed when I first got it, steering wheel, CD player with the proper install kits, 6x9s, tach, and other little stuff like that. Plus there's also the hundreds I've had to spend on tow trucks in the last year.

Sh*t adds up fast lol.

CAPERKEV said:
and heres another solution, i am tossing a challenge out there, to all the g body freaks like myself, who wants to take a weekend to fix this car an get just snot pukin drunk???? i got a 60 pounder of spiced rum an 2 24s anyone else wanna come help??????

That sounds like a great idea lol. But I think you're the only one on here that's anywhere close to me.

CAPERKEV said:
another thought, have you talked to busy bee???? i know him well, the son is running the place now, he decent guy, he wont bend you over, and he resonable, and he knows what he is doing, they have the yard in the flats, and he opened a shop on the 41 out of town talk to him, explain the sh*t you been through, he will help ya out,

Yeah I've been going there since I was a teen. Ricky's the one who installed my rear for me, and was about 1/2 price of everyone else I called.

Now this is kind of funny. He was actually the first one I called when my 305 died. He had no good SBCs at the time but said he would gladly install one for me. But he's so damn busy out there, he said it would be about 3-4 months. So that's why I got the guy I bought the engine from 9Kelly Libby at KLC Tech) to do the install (that by the way he charged me $1500), he said he would have the car back on the road in 4 days. So I went with him. I really wish I would have just waited the 3-4 months for Ricky. And another funny thing... Quite often when I was at KLC Tech he would bash Busy Bee, but now after dealing with the 2 of them. I would say Bust Bee is probably a billion times better lol. I have NEVR had a bad experience with Busy Bee, other than the fact he's so busy that there's a waiting list.

And after all this crap with the car, and all the cabs over the last 2 years, my car fund is pretty much gone now. I have a bit left, but not enough for another mechanic.

So where to start... one of the problems I have is that I'm living in a rental place. Can't work on the car here, plus I haven't got much for tools anymore. And also cars have to have valid plate and insurance, even to park in the parking stall. And I really have no where to park it long term.

I have the ability to do it myself (if I had the shop and tools). That's part of the reason it pisses me off in the first place, I used to do this sh*t all the time (had a few buddies years ago that had nice shops), we would do engine/transmission swaps in a day. Another thing I regret is that I didn't just rent a shop and tools, and do it myself. I was going to. But thought since I had the cash it would be nice to let someone else to the dirty work for a change, wow what a mistake.

It actually doesn't need much to be finished (well maybe, read on for more):

-needs power steering pump replaced (i have the new pump)
-needs shifter linkage adjusted
-needs the kickdown cable hooked up (I don't know, wrong bracket or cable or something)
-I think it needs on of the transmission line fittings replaced
-and here's the big one. for some reason the driver side rockers were hitting the valve cover (intake side), so bad that
it cracked the valve cover (Vette L81). I bought a new set of valve covers and some good rubber gaskets. And I'm hoping
that it was just a clearance issue with the cover (have been researching the problem and it seems a lot of SBC aluminum
covers have this problem), or maybe the valves need adjusting. I myself have never seen or heard of this before, so I
have no clue what's wrong.
-will need vacuum line hooked to HEI (yeah that's an easy one lol) and to be tuned up (Edelbrock carb).
-transmission cooler (that I got for the cost of shipping from a kind forum member. Still gotta get him the cash for that. just
having a bank account and paypal issue at the moment) installed. All I have is the cooler, nothing to mount it yet.
-would also like to install a set of gauges. With all the money into this engine, something to monitor the temp and oil
pressure would be nice lol. All I have is speedo, gas and tach.

It's not that much now that I look at it, assuming there's no major damage in the valve area. And if I can find some new insurance. Just gotta cool down for a few days and try to figure it out.

Any bays you can rent? Theres a couple fellas around here who own garages and will rent you a bay monthly, hoist, and air compressor are in them. Didn't know if there are any places like that around you or not but it's an idea.

Phoenyx said:
topendperformance said:

lol now I never said it was well invested 20k, but still 20k. here's a rough breakdown (about a 3 year period):

$ 1500 - car
$ 2500 - rear rebuilt (yeah, I know. But in my defense I had the 7.5 rebuilt before I found this site)
$ 500 - having the rear and new Edelbrock stuff installed (rear came from a previous g-body)
$ 280 - speedo gears changed (yeah I got f*cked on that one, but my bad for not asking what it would cost first)
$ 1000 - (give or take $100, I can't remember exactly)front end redone, including new springs, and all 4 shocks
$ 800 - exhaust
$ 600 - for the rebuild 700r4 and 2400 converter (seems like a good deal, but it came from the 'expert mechanic')
---------
$18730

Plus there's lots of other little things like rebuilding the carb, tune up stuff it needed when I first got it, steering wheel, CD player with the proper install kits, 6x9s, tach, and other little stuff like that. Plus there's also the hundreds I've had to spend on tow trucks in the last year.

Sh*t adds up fast lol.
Just was curious,good luck with it man

Sorry to ask but you have nowhere to park it for 5 years or you just simply want to give up? I live in N.W. Ohio that has much less open land than Canada and you can get barn storage here for dirt cheap...........

Sounds like you already made up your mind tho and you will be like me in 5 years crying about the one you let go..... I easily forget about the girls, but not the cars!

CHRIS.O said:
Any bays you can rent? Theres a couple fellas around here who own garages and will rent you a bay monthly, hoist, and air compressor are in them. Didn't know if there are any places like that around you or not but it's an idea.

None that I have ever heard of. I've always wished we had a place like that here.

topendperformance said:
Phoenyx said:
topendperformance said:

$ 1500 - car
$ 800 - exhaust
---------
$18730

Sh*t adds up fast lol.
Just was curious,good luck with it man

lol it's quite shocking how fast it can add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor