Got a new turntable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
We lived in the best music era of all time.

Isn't that what our elders said of the 1940's big band music - Glenn Miller, Woody Herman etc...?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
my sister still has the high dollar hi-fi she bought in the early 80's and 20 some "sealtest" milk cartons full of albums that took up half the van when we moved from Ontario to Alberta. That's more dedication than I could bear. Its an ongoing debate between us for years now.

I will gladly take my FLAC files where I currently have 28 full albums ( roughly 1 milk carton ) covering everything from Ginger Baker to Stones to Jack White all neatly stored on one Thumb Drive that I plug in to my USB drive in my car, wifes car, work van, backyard boom-box or my Home Theater. Other that the crackle, pop, and having to get up every 22 mins to switch sides my ear cannot tell the differnce. MP3's dont seem to have the "soul" that a FLAC file or an LP does. Whole Lotta love or Sgt Peppers is a real test between the 3 formats to my ear.

Dont get me wrong, I do appreciate the process, the album sleeve, the smell and the memories of albums but its a bit of a PIA

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Old fart need to ask...what is FLAC files?
Lets talk about elliptical or conical stylus, sapphire or diamond., anti skating, side I or II, anti skip add a penny.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Bought a new turntable a few years ago plus started collecting vinyl again to go back in time while sitting at the house with a cocktail, otherwise my music collection is all digital as I travel a lot, is 378 gig of music an addiction?

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Isn't that what our elders said of the 1940's big band music - Glenn Miller, Woody Herman etc...?
You have something there, Ed. I guess I was a bit hasty with that remark. Hey, I dig big band music as well. That was also a great era for music.

• Agree

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Old fart need to ask...what is FLAC files?.

In dealing with the LP era the "original" recording is done to tape ( aka Master Tape ). See a great little movie called Sound City for reference.

Once the master is reworked to a suitable level it is then recored to the Master Disk. The Master Disk then presses how ever many vinyl records it can before getting worn out. Each copy that is made ( and every time that subsequent copy is played ) it loses some of its integrity in comparision to its original Master Tape.

FLAC is a Free Lossless Audio Codec and is what CD's were meant to be. They take the absolute original tape, copy it to and electronic FLAC file with no loss. MP3 is currently the "common" electronic format but because it shrinks the files to 20% or so of its original size but losing minute details of the music in the process.

So in the case of Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin, when you play it on your home system on Vinyl the song rocks back and forth between speakers during the drum \ guitar solo. But when played as a CD\ MP3 it just doesnt have the same "feel" when played back as an MP3 and tends to miss some of the soul of the music ( although still much cleaner without the needle crackle and pop of a used vinly recording ). When played back as a recorded FLAC file you are supposedly able to hear subltle parts of the song that could only be heard when listening to the master tapes in the studio ( without the needle crackle and pop or the loss associated with a well played recording ).

Niel Young has also been in the process of converting all his own Master Tapes to FLAC format thru Pono Music Service.

Like I said before, I like the ritual and the memory that vinyl gives me, my sister absolutely loves it. She has some rare stuffs from overseas, and old blues stuff from the 30's and 40's that you cannot find online or anywhere for that matter. But in order to enjoy it you have to be at home to play it 22 mins at a time. My music is electronic and on my PC. Have not used a CD for 4-5 years now. It's portable, wont scratch, bend , fold or degrade. But it is not tactile. However I really really like that I can fit 20 plus albums on a $10 thumb drive to throw it in my pocket with a playback as good or better than Vinyl. I can put 5 thumb drives in the ash tray of the Monte which would be over 100 albums

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
That's good info on FLAC.
Unfortunately, just like my vinyl records, my hearing has degraded as well.
Blame it on electric guitar playing, power tools, and driving a 90's International truck - certainly not blaming damaged hearing on my mellow ''V8 rumble'' music to my ears.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Led Zeppelin 1, The Yardbirds(Over Under Sideways Down) and Machine Head own my turntable, Sansui 881 Receiver and Realistic Optimus speakers. Keeping it simple with new school 70's audio technology.
I enjoy the cassette player in the Monte - I can play my mix tapes.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Just another reason I wish my kids didnt move so far out of state ( me Pgh , son Dallas,daughter Florida Keys) they could school me on all these modern conveniences. I'd love to have all my LPs on something convenient for garage and travel.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I bought one of them "all in one" Crosley radio, cd, tape, reord players from the kmart I used to work at a few years ago for $89. Works decent. Plays my tapes and vinyl good.

Attachments

• recordplayer.jpg
    recordplayer.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor