Grampa Fresh Lemans Wagon Safari..Calgary Alberta

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
What do you think its worth before the swap compared to after the swap?
First I am NOT in the market and obviously I do not speak for everyone. But if i were in the market the car as it sits would certainly be something I would be interested in, the same car with an LS swap I wouldn't even finish reading the ad once I saw it had an ls in it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
ZomboMeme 06052022175303.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
To be honest if it's as clean underneath as it is above I'd take my chances on a bring a trailer submission.

Before the swap every guy wanting a clean sleeper to drop a Pontiac v8 or big block is interested. After an ls swap you need someone who wants an ls swap because they're a PITA to undo, wiring gets hacked in the process, etc etc. And for original cars on BAT the money is flowing right now.

And I think you'll find a smaller nunber of wagon loving ls swap buyers than wagon loving big block or poncho v8 buyers.

If you want to ls swap it to enjoy that's one thing. But you're not going to swing a profit by adding an ls swap to the car. Any buyer at that point will want one well sorted using professional grade parts, not home brew work, which will cost much more than any value added.
The only wiring I hacked up was the instrument cluster, which I brought into the 21st century. Literally most everything else was unplugged and abandoned in place.

I think the wagon is worth $10k as-is "if it's as clean underneath as it is above".

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The only wiring I hacked up was the instrument cluster, which I brought into the 21st century. Literally most everything else was unplugged and abandoned in place.

I think the wagon is worth $10k as-is "if it's as clean underneath as it is above".
Then again, not everyone is as courteous or forward thinking when doing a swap. Especially a lot of the back yard hillbilly 'I done my ls swaperoo for under $500, and that was motor too' types.

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If it were mine, I think I'd keep it as a survivor. They're only original once. I would consider doing subtle changes and yet keep it somewhat on the original spectrum. I personally think the car is more attractive to a buyer in it's original state. That's my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
If it were mine, I think I'd keep it as a survivor. They're only original once. I would consider doing subtle changes and yet keep it somewhat on the original spectrum. I personally think the car is more attractive to a buyer in it's original state. That's my opinion.
Original does not automatically = better for vehicles produced during this era. So much improvement is possible in making some changes. Lots of cars are nut/bolt restored after being modded as well.

Value is there for both sides of the situation.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I vote ultra sleeper. Mean small block painted correctly, built trans, hidden N2O setup or something like that, GN 10 bolt, factory looking interior.

See the this thread.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Original does not automatically = better for vehicles produced during this era. So much improvement is possible in making some changes. Lots of cars are nut/bolt restored after being modded as well.

Value is there for both sides of the situation.
I guess I was thinking more inline as a resto-rod build. Keeping it somewhat stock looking on the exterior and doing subtle upgrades and improvements mechanically and suspension wise.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I guess I was thinking more inline as a resto-rod build. Keeping it somewhat stock looking on the exterior and doing subtle upgrades and improvements mechanically and suspension wise.
Gotcha. I like the Resto-Rod approach.
Ditch all the restrictive stuff that was used to minimize pollution in that era for stuff that maintains (or improves upon) those targets while improving performance & efficiency. Tweak chassis items to current technology as well. OD transmission, better gearing, bigger brakes, better alignment specs & tires that allow 'spirited' drives. Keep the exterior era friendly.....

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Gotcha. I like the Resto-Rod approach.
Ditch all the restrictive stuff that was used to minimize pollution in that era for stuff that maintains (or improves upon) those targets while improving performance & efficiency. Tweak chassis items to current technology as well. OD transmission, better gearing, bigger brakes, better alignment specs & tires that allow 'spirited' drives. Keep the exterior era friendly.....
Always need to save the a.i.r. aka smog pumps though. Corvette guys will pay for a date coded one, and the gbody used the same one they did at least the earlier years....

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor