Grand National Areocoupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I know someone who restored a Pontiac GP areo and he was surprised that the company contracted by GM who did the modifications beat the sharp edge of the roofline at the top corners of the rear window with a hammer to round off the roofline to match the areo window. They then smoothed it out with bondo

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Turbo1dr said:
I would think that if you add weight up high it would plant the rear tires better. This is due to fact that the sudden forward motion of the car during take-off would make the front end pull up and the rear press down??

This is true, but it also decreases stability (mainly rollover tendency) like pontiacgp said... but since the car is longer than it is wide, the weight would have to be higher up to make any difference far as weight transfer.

To kind of put this in perspective, think of an upside-down letter T with a 3rd dimension. The cross that is now at the bottom as the body of the car. Front-to-rear of the car is end-to-end on the cross, side-to-side would be the 'front' and 'back' of the T. The end of the upright that isn't connected to the cross is where the weight is (we're using an 'extreme' case of weight transfer/leverage here). As you try to tip the "T" towards the front/rear you'll see it's much more difficult than tilting it side/side... this is one reason the weight being up high is undesirable, it alters the center of gravity... but in this case I'm sure it won't have an overly adverse effect on handling since it's basically an 'OE' setup 8)

Here's a crude drawing of what I'm talking about...
The-T1024x768.jpg

adam6640

Greasemonkey
Apr 30, 2008
Hugo Ok
I think it is an awesome Idea,Is there any photos ? it is definately more areodynamic and if it is a little heavier it will probably help balance the car, just my opinions !I heard of an 88 cutlass areocoupe someone did but never saw a photo, why not be different ?
Good luck everyone with your projects

It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man

87BlackSheep

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2010
Fort Knox, KY
Always wondered what that would look like! I looks pretty cool but what about a 70's muscle look? Like take the rear part of the cab off a 71 Nova or a 74 Javelin and mold it on a G body?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Then you'd have a 78-80 cutlass salon or buick century :lol: .

87BlackSheep

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2010
Fort Knox, KY
Oh good God! :puke:

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
lol, they actually look really cool in person :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor