BUILD THREAD Grand prix LS1 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
so I took the GP to my tuner and got the code reporting portion of my ecm turned back on and lo and behold no codes, which left my tuner baffled!! :? suggested taking off cats to check them to see if they are plugged, except this is the total opposite they were completely hollow! Now I gotta do a compression test and leakdown test to see if it's a "mechanical" issue...... :evil: hopefully I can figure out what wrong with soon i'm depressed trying to find out what is wrong with ride! got a price on a 408 longblock and am hoping to go with it as soon as I fix the problem with the ls1.....My cutty is begging for a ls1 swap! and the GP is demanding the 408,t56 build! :mrgreen:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I always had trouble with "professionals" not doing a professional job. Might be best to go buy the expensive tuning software and sit down and figure out how to do it yourself.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Clone TIE Pilot said:
I always had trouble with "professionals" not doing a professional job. Might be best to go buy the expensive tuning software and sit down and figure out how to do it yourself.

I have been thinking about it seeing as my girl bought me a new laptop, then I would have to get HP tuners vcm pro program....BUT if I do EFI live then I could also do a dsp5 switch tune for my Duramax lb7.... :mrgreen: but HP tuners is better for a ls series swap and EFI live for the dmax.... :roll: or so from what I've read. I'm not ready to spend that much moolah for either program and the steep learning curve associated with either one. luckily my tuner is working with me and is trying to make it work. He does a lot of forced induction work on GM trucks and they are bad *ss! so no doubt in his abilities! :mrgreen:

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
quick update nothing special... 8)
Removed the stock ls1 manifold in order to test a OEM Cam position sensor and Crank position sensor from my 6.0 lq4 on the engine stand... kept reading aftermarket sensors are crap... well since I had to remove the ls1 intake off i figured i'll do the ZO6 ls6 intake manifold upgrade, bought new manifold gaskets, FOUND a bad stock ls1 pcv elbow which I hope was part of my problem!! I checked for intake leaks but couldn't find any.... :? I chipped away and grounded the stiffening ribs on the ls6 intake to clear the steam lines, so now i'm looking to upgrade to the 04 ls6 intake valley cover now to fix the crappy pcv system on the early model ls series engines. figured since I had the ls6 intake off might as well try to customize it and paint it?.... :wink: I hope to buy the ls6 intake valley cover and new knock sensors along with the harness.. and possibly switch over to ls6 steam lines and add a oil catch can! I also bought the ckp and cmp harness pigtails as mine were pretty well beat up! hope to get my GP running good soon.. also gonna fab the ls6 intake to look like the stock ls1 intake with egr... :wink:
20140817_184829_zps5eqvnnla.jpg

20140817_184754_zpsn0wfjeaf.jpg

ls6 Z06 manifold cleaned up
20140901_185831_zps5mucidc2.jpg

20140901_185824_zpsqp0cldgk.jpg

20140901_185840_zpsomddjcm7.jpg

painted gunmetal grey
20140901_193452_zpselmhcqr7.jpg

20140901_193444_zps3kcj2scn.jpg

20140901_193500_zpsnuy2hpf0.jpg

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
sent you a pm L.A.X-RATED... it's nice to see that my GP is still generating interest... 8) I have a 98 Mustang gt that is sitting there and could pay for my 408 stroker build.... but I kinda like it :|

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Well I got it running good FINALLY!! replaced the crank & cam sensor pigtails, used the stock lq4 cam & crank sensors to test instead of the stock ls1 cam and o'reilly's aftermarket one I had in... Finished the ls6 intake, pcv valley cover conversion, used the stock ls1 steam lines with some minor massaging! :wink: deleted the egr and blocked off the AIR injection ports and egr ports on the manifolds... bypassed the throttle body coolant lines. So after buttoning it all up I started it and it overheated!! quit and watched my Denver Broncos lose!! :evil: then went back and rebled the cooling system and took it for a test drive and it ran awesome for more then hour I started beating on it and it didn't backfire , misfire, buck or give me crap!! :mrgreen: I even got it to over 100mph with no issues! then I got my *ss whooped by a modded srt4 but no hating here i'm just happy I could drive it and beat on it without any hiccups! planning now 4:10's, upgraded shifter since I can't seem to find 3rd during powershifting :| ls7 clutch and a tick master cylinder..... 8) then redo the 799 heads I have, aftermarket cam and springs, connecting rod bolts, better pistons, rods oh wait I forgot i'm on a budget and i'm broke! :rofl: thanks to everybody following my thread! :wink: hopefully will post some real progress soon ie: paint job etc etc!
20140919_195506_zpsvyqn9pyd.jpg

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
thanks 67rstbkt for opening my build thread! kwoods8851 I used a combo of a stock f body cable along with my gbody firewall firewall cable mounting search my photobucket account please! hit me up if you have any ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor