Gray Man, Inc.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It's a runner. No bad noises, smoke, or obvious leaks. It does have a miss though. I'll sort that out tomorrow and clean up the shop a bit.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Nov 4, 2012
The GMC front clip looks sharp on those trucks. I think the K1500 I owned was cursed.

I'm so jealous of that shop.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I used to think the GMCs were ugly but this one has really grown on me. Hoping to make it mine someday.

I'm starting to feel like this one is curse too. It was purchased cheap with a couple known issues that were obviously not going to be cheap. The transmission wouldn't shift past 2nd and the tires were shot. The upside was that the body was decent, everything else worked, and the interior was really nice for it's age. (The previous owner actually bought it for the interior to swap Into another truck, but aborted the project.) What we didn't foresee was that it would need an ABS unit, rear axles and bearings, and eventually the PCM. They weren't really expensive, but it adds up.
Now, the whole engine thing, that was poor judgment on the part of the local shop. I've dealt with him in the past and he's got a great reputation. Hell, I'd probably work for the guy. However, he ****ed up this time. What's worse is that he essentially just shrugged it off. I certainly don't expect him to replace a 237k mile engine for free, but he could have at least waved the $130 bill. Anyway, the less tired engine is in and running now. Hopefully it'll buy some more miles. The only thing I know that it'll need in the future is a steering box.
This was never intended to be a restoration project but sure feels like it sometimes. He's still only in it about 1/2 what it'd sell for and it's never left us stranded. Hoping we're over the hump now and can actually put it to work without worrying about any more problems.

One more thing. My buddy Jerod sent me this. I haven't tried it yet but it's a much less destructive way to clear the code.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I used to think the GMCs were ugly but this one has really grown on me. Hoping to make it mine someday.

I'm starting to feel like this one is curse too. It was purchased cheap with a couple known issues that were obviously not going to be cheap. The transmission wouldn't shift past 2nd and the tires were shot. The upside was that the body was decent, everything else worked, and the interior was really nice for it's age. (The previous owner actually bought it for the interior to swap Into another truck, but aborted the project.) What we didn't foresee was that it would need an ABS unit, rear axles and bearings, and eventually the PCM. They weren't really expensive, but it adds up.
Now, the whole engine thing, that was poor judgment on the part of the local shop. I've dealt with him in the past and he's got a great reputation. Hell, I'd probably work for the guy. However, he ****ed up this time. What's worse is that he essentially just shrugged it off. I certainly don't expect him to replace a 237k mile engine for free, but he could have at least waved the $130 bill. Anyway, the less tired engine is in and running now. Hopefully it'll buy some more miles. The only thing I know that it'll need in the future is a steering box.
This was never intended to be a restoration project but sure feels like it sometimes. He's still only in it about 1/2 what it'd sell for and it's never left us stranded. Hoping we're over the hump now and can actually put it to work without worrying about any more problems.

One more thing. My buddy Jerod sent me this. I haven't tried it yet but it's a much less destructive way to clear the code.
I wish I was creative and could dream up a solution like that. Pretty cool. I always loved that body style. I had an 89 Chevy with the plain jane two headlight front clip and always wated to update it with the four headlight front. I'd like to have another of those trucks someday. I just don't have a need for one.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Given the condition of your current truck, it'd be a giant step backwards.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Given the condition of your current truck, it'd be a giant step backwards.
Oh I wouldn't replace mine with it. I'd just like to have one as a toy, which probably won't happen. I might flip one though. Have fun with it and then sell it.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I miss my 1999 Crew Cab S/B 2500 4x4 badly. I still look for deals on them almost weekly, but most are torn the F up.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I miss my 1999 Crew Cab S/B 2500 4x4 badly. I still look for deals on them almost weekly, but most are torn the F up.
I'll keep my eyes open out in Walker County, especially after we move out there.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor