Gray Man, Inc.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
My 92 W250 used to molt sheets of white paint off the hood as I rolled along at 75. The driver's door looked like it had sprouted a pocket. I touched the bottom of the bulge and watched a bunch of rainwater drain out...

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Maaco gets all the credit for this mess.

Nov 4, 2012
Is that dash as nice as looks in the pictures?

Truck is really cleaning up nicely. Looks to be heavily optioned too. I see the optional Infinity tweeters in the doors, CD player, power seat with lumbar, power mirrors, cruise, carpet, leather wrapped steering wheel.

The carpet in mine was really gross too. I'm know it's in the thread I did on it, but I had to pull it out, drill brush it with laundry soap and pressure wash it to get it clean. Looked and smelled great afterward though.

I would take a peek under that carpet too, those rear side windows are good for leaking and getting water between the carpet and the floor pan.

May also be worth it to source an original air filter housing too. They aren't very restrictive and it'll filter a lot better than any cotton gauze filter.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I took 6INAROW for a drive today. Actually, this is the first I've really driven it beyond my driveway. Ran to the truck stop and topped it off. Trip to get it home was 18.3mpg running 70.

Maybe you guys with more Cummins experience can educate me. If I'm pulling away from a stop at a steady RPM of 1800-2000, it runs through the gears and has positive shifts. Boost is around 20-24, if the gauge is accurate. Once it shifts into high gear, boost jumps up to 34-36 and it pulls like mad with no increased pedal input. Is this normal or is this a result of the "work" that the previous owner claims was done?

Perhaps the there is som type of boost controller that is adding boost when the converter locks, but also, that is the usual result when the converter locks hard
- a crap ton of boost and go (power).

And the side detriment to that is it is a headgasket popper and rod bender if you had a gas engine. It throws the tune into a different part of the fuel and timing map very quickly. But I’m sure your Cummins has a beefier rod and HG than a lot of gas engines.

Beautiful country you live BTW - I’m envious.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Hundred mile shakedown ride on the blue bike. Ebay XT225 engine is A-OK. Extended swingarm has noticeable differences, positive and negative. New Bradley rear shock with the RaceTech emulators is great! Not quite motocross suspension, but waaay better than stock TW.

Last photo is the Rockville, OR school. It's the smallest public school in the state. Usually about half a dozen students. Beautiful open country out there.

Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Is that dash as nice as looks in the pictures?

Truck is really cleaning up nicely. Looks to be heavily optioned too. I see the optional Infinity tweeters in the doors, CD player, power seat with lumbar, power mirrors, cruise, carpet, leather wrapped steering wheel.

The carpet in mine was really gross too. I'm know it's in the thread I did on it, but I had to pull it out, drill brush it with laundry soap and pressure wash it to get it clean. Looked and smelled great afterward though.

I would take a peek under that carpet too, those rear side windows are good for leaking and getting water between the carpet and the floor pan.

May also be worth it to source an original air filter housing too. They aren't very restrictive and it'll filter a lot better than any cotton gauze filter.
The dash is perfect. So far, the only interior and/or functional defects are as follows: FM band doesn't work. Fuel gauge doesn't work (mostly). Headliner is loose along the windshield. The center console is loose and needs to be snagged down. The passenger door window switch won't snap into place and hold. And the carpet is gross. I'll pull the seats and carpet when I get a chance. It'll get the tide and pressure washer treatment.

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
That's awesome the dash is nice. I would refrain from setting anything on it, bumping it, sneezing on it, breathing on it or looking at it funny. Maybe a good idea to throw a dash mat overtop to keep the sun off of it too.

Check the plug at the sending unit for the fuel gauge. Mine worked intermittently and the issue was just a loose connector.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Here's a bit of a boomerang story. This was originally purchased in 1982 by a high-school friend of my dad, who was later my employer, and years later -- my uncle. Weird stuff happens in small towns when octogenarian widows/widowers remarry. It was sold around 1996 to my brother's best friend to commute to high-school. In their first year of college, it tossed a rod and I replaced the engine. Not long after that, the owner was paralyzed in a snowboarding accident. An attempt was made to convert to hand controls, but it was just too cumbersome to get a wheelchair in an out of the bed. The owner passed away shortly after and his parents mostly forgot about it. It made the occasional dump run but was eventually sold to a repair shop specializing in British imports. A few years later and my brother passed the shop, noticing a For Sale sign in the window. Not surprisingly, he got a little sentimental and struck a deal. He drove it home and a plan has been forged. He's going to make it a rat shop truck for now and possibly make it his youngest son's first car. He wants to build a mid-80s era tribute minitruck.

When my uncle sold it, it was in immaculate shape. Sadly, 20 years of neglect have really made their mark.

I took the above photos on Thursday, right after he got it home, and he's already shopping. He's gotten a set of C4 wheels and a vintage airdam. He's got a Belltech 4/5 drop on order.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
He started cleaning it up and got the Bravada bumper installed. Most of his Belltech kit got delivered but they forgot the rear springs. Baby steps.
IMG_0078.jpg

More time and money wasted on the scabby tractor. I pulled the passenger seat to lube the tracks and adjust the locks.
20240413_123503.jpg

The console was only held down with one bolt. One of the pivot bolts was broken off, so I drilled it out. It was originally a large shouldered Philips. Best I had on hand was a regular bolt and a door hinge bushing. It's not visible once installed.
20240413_132843.jpg
20240413_133756.jpg

Also, for some reason a previous owner had redrilled the mount holes to locate it about an inch back. I got new hardware and put it back the way they had it. It's solid and tumbles like it should now.
20240413_133803.jpg
20240413_135350.jpg

I cleaned up the rear seat and threw in a new set of all-weather mats. The carpet is still gross.
20240413_135407.jpg

Kustom chinesium chrome lug nut caps.
20240411_151111.jpg

Rear mudflaps.
20240411_151013.jpg

CL toolbox.
20240411_151048.jpg

I've done a bunch of little things like replaceing missing clips and tightening loose hardware. Anyway, I've been driving it most of the last 2 weeks and it seems mechanically solid. I'm loading up the blue bike and some camping gear and headed to Moab for a few days, then up to Missoula to work for a week. That'll be about 1800 miles in a big circle. Wish me luck.

Reactions: 6 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
He started cleaning it up and got the Bravada bumper installed. Most of his Belltech kit got delivered but they forgot the rear springs. Baby steps.

More time and money wasted on the scabby tractor. I pulled the passenger seat to lube the tracks and adjust the locks.
The console was only held down with one bolt. One of the pivot bolts was broken off, so I drilled it out. It was originally a large shouldered Philips. Best I had on hand was a regular bolt and a door hinge bushing. It's not visible once installed.

Also, for some reason a previous owner had redrilled the mount holes to locate it about an inch back. I got new hardware and put it back the way they had it. It's solid and tumbles like it should now.
I cleaned up the rear seat and threw in a new set of all-weather mats. The carpet is still gross.

Kustom chinesium chrome lug nut caps.

Rear mudflaps.

CL toolbox.

I've done a bunch of little things like replaceing missing clips and tightening loose hardware. Anyway, I've been driving it most of the last 2 weeks and it seems mechanically solid. I'm loading up the blue bike and some camping gear and headed to Moab for a few days, then up to Missoula to work for a week. That'll be about 1800 miles in a big circle. Wish me luck.
you're mudflaps are defective, missing some parts. .....here you go. you're welcome!

1713116582169.png

• Haha
  • Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor