Had rear end rebuilt, now it's exposed transmission problems: Resolved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Another question for anyone with experience. Would a constant pressure valve body be an option to solve my woes? Anyone have any experience with them?

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Update: With the bowtie kit the car is drive able and feels somewhat like a normal car. With the pressure gauge hooked up, Bowtie told me my pressures were good. Only problem I'm having is when I hit the accelerator I'm not getting a pressure rise off the line in through 1-2, 2-3. Also 2-3 is SLOPPY. Everything else seems ok. WOT shifts are still very early, but that obviously relates to the Gov/VB still being the same. When I was on the phone with Bowtie they started having phone issues and we kept getting cut off. I'll get with them again on the pressures tomorrow.

Other random question. The guy who has the 2004r available, If I decide to buy the whole core off of him, how much is it worth?
If the pressure doesn't jump when you pull the cable, something is wrong. What pressure are you seeing at idle and at "full pull"?

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If the pressure doesn't jump when you pull the cable, something is wrong. What pressure are you seeing at idle and at "full pull"?

It was 210 or something. So on pull it jumps in all gears. But In drive at 15mph if I tap the gas it's minimal. From bothing to maybe 2-4 psi at best. In 4th at 35mph it jumps 15-20 when you tap the gas. Truthfully I've had enough. If the transmission burns up oh well. I'll rebuild my friends SS 2004r or just go 6 speed swap. I've had enough transmission fluid showers.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY

It was 210 or something. So on pull it jumps in all gears. But In drive at 15mph if I tap the gas it's minimal. From bothing to maybe 2-4 psi at best. In 4th at 35mph it jumps 15-20 when you tap the gas. Truthfully I've had enough. If the transmission burns up oh well. I'll rebuild my friends SS 2004r or just go 6 speed swap. I've had enough transmission fluid showers.

Don't have the exact #'s in front of me but Bow Tie said they were ok.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The next twist. If I start the car from a stop in 2nd, 1-2 if more firm and hits at 16mph on the button, then the manual shift from 3-4 is just as good. Left to it's own in drive or overdrive 1-2 is slightly less tight and 2-3 is shortly thereafter and sloppy. I think the higher pressure that you are in when in 2nd vs drive is helping things out. Makes me think I do have lower than necessary line pressure in drive.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So I have a GN governor coming in Thursday, so we'll see how that goes.

Anyhow this is interesting. Everyone said when they switched from high gears to 3:73's the car would ROMP on the local streets and do nothing on the highway. Mine is the opposite. Sluggish on local streets(mainly because it want to shift into 3 and 4 early) but totally loves the highway. This motor LOVES the high revs. I have a hard time keeping it under 75! It just breathes so well. I feel like this motor has never truly ran before. It was like a 6 year break in. And before the rear end swap the car drove nice on the streets. Easy for cruising but really accelerated well between 25-50 mph. It sucked on the highway though. It always felt like it couldn't hold speed above 55. It would get to 75 and want to come right back down. I guess that's what they call the engine "lugging".

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sourced a Grand National governor out of TransDepot in Florida and it fixed it!

The one on the bottom is the GN obviously. Huge difference. Pic doesn't even do it justice.

Shifts high, shifts hard. Car does 3-1 and 4-2 downshifts(or are they called upshits, idk,) for the first time ever. She REALLY pulls on the highway. Thanks to all who assisted in helping me keep my mind straight on this one.

Next stop, Lancaster Speedway!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor