HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Dude, that looks good! I would put the silver on before the last coat of clear. Maybe give it a few coats, then paint the lines, then more clear. That silver tends to chalk and wear off.

And little by little is true, sucks, but I am in the same boat.:smile:

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
It has been raining almost every day. I can't get nothing done. I have to work on it outside cause my 55 and 56 Chevys are in the garage. I just sold my 55 parts car so I'll have some cash to get a windshield and some paint. I think I'll paint it a med red met. with a gold lower stripe. I was going to go black again but thinking the red will be classy. I want this car to look like an old mans car but it will have very subtle custom touches.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Not getting any actual work done on the car but have an update on it. I've been saving some money and have bought some of the expensive items. I went ahead and bought a brand new Hurst 4 speed shifter and linkage kit so I can keep it a factory 4 speed stick car. I bought a brand new set of 215/70/14 raised white letter tires, new seat cover set from Dixie Monte Carlo in tan vinyl and cloth. I did not buy the door panel set but they let me purchase 2 extra yards of the matching cloth to do my door and small rear panels. I just now ordered a window felt sweep kit with inners and outers and also a second set of outers for the quarter glasses. I bought a reman brake booster and master cylinder package too. I had bought a complete set of outside widow stainless from another 2 door salon at a salvage. I compared both sets and picked out the best pieces. I polished some of them but have a lot more to go. I restored one taillight assembly to show a before and after. I removed the lens, chrome bezel, and backing. The reflecting silver paint for bulb brightness was almost gone so I cleaned, scuffed and repainted that with Chrome spray paint. My lens seal was dry rotted so I used 1/4 inch foam tape from Lowes. I buffed the lens on both sides and used 0000 steel wool and mothers mag polish lightly on the chrome bezel. It shined up nicely but the sides of the housing was scuffed so I painted that semi gloss black. I polished some #8 stainless Phillips screws to reattatch the lens. Not much left to buy like shocks, carpet, headliner material, and paint supplies but I'm getting closer.

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
Very good wor!
I always liked these little ugly ducklings! I really never stopped to think what platform they were on... then again I never realised all the years I drove an 85 cutless supream that it was the same platform as the 80 elcamino that my parents made me give up (too much of a death trap)
cant wait to see how it turns out!!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Somebody is actually restoring one of these? Hell yeah this is my new favorite build thread!

P.S that woodgrain turned out awesome!!!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm anxious to see how the car progresses. I've always liked that body style.
Btw, great job on graining the dash insert. It actually looks richer than the original grain...I like it!

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I maybe the only one doing a resto on one of these aerobacks. I don't know what it is about this car that makes me love it so much. All my friends and family hate it. I've had a few Grand Nationals and Monte SS's. I've owned dozens of G bodys and like them. I think it's going to be cool to roll into a car show with such an odd ball car. I doubt another aero Olds ever pulls up along side me! Heck, even if one does, mines a 4 speed stick car 8)

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've gathered up some engine stuff since I sold one of my other projects a couple weeks ago. I've got a 350 Chevy (Salon had a Chevy 305), it's just a dish piston with a set of centerbolt stock heads 76cc. Its NOT gonna be a big power house but should sound and perform better than the old 305 did. I bought a Summit cam kit 467/467, got a Weiand Street Warrior intake, 600 Holley carb, MSD HEI distributor, shorty headers, and Comp Magnum roller rockers. I want a Holley 670 Street Avenger so probably get one later. It should be fun with that 4 speed and still run on 87 octane. I've bought a stock 4 barrel air cleaner but will modify it. I'm going to weld up the unused holes and cut off a few inches of the snorkel, I bought a new flex hose, an AC air cleaner decal, got a K&N filter, and a full set of front drive pulleys from a late 80s IROC with the wide belt and v belts for AC and power steering. I want the engine to appear stock but updated and cleaner. I also got a rear end from a Malibu cop car 2.73 posi. The stock rear had 2.73 peg leg so my speedo will read correctly and still get decent fuel mileage. I also bought front and rear sway bars and front spindles and rotors from a Monte SS. Wanted to get away from the one year only 78 rotors. I have a brand new set of rotors and bearings from a past project so now I can use them. I also found the core support to fender braces. I think its cool to have the upgraded stock GM parts.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I am digging it for sure! I hope you can keep trucking along and get er done! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor