HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Worked all day long. Got a pretty bad sunburn. Completely disassembled the front suspension from chassis. Got the front frame stub blasted, cleaned and sanded down. I welded up some unused holes, ground all the slag and spatter, and I used body filler on top of the frame rails to smooth them up. I blasted all 4 a-arms, coil springs, and tie rods. Got dark on me before I got the bodywork finished. I'll hopefully get it etch primed tomorrow. I bought all 4 new shocks, idler arm, and drag link today. Got everything else here already. It was fun and lookin forward to tomorrow.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Can you tell us more about the blasting? Pics of your setup? What media are you using?

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Put the car up on blocks and started the rear end stuff. I swapped in a 2.73 posi unit from my 2.73 single track. I swapped the ring gear so I did not have to change the pinion gear. I found a bad axle bearing that had eat on the left axle and let gear oil into the drum. Everything on the left side is soaked with it. Good thing I had bought new rear shoes. I got to go Monday to a local salvage to get another axle. I'll replace the bearing. I cleaned out the housing so the gear oil will be nice and clean. I replaced the pinion seal and the right axle seal too. Dropped the tank out and removed the sending unit. I was surprised it was clean inside. The sock is coming apart though. Going to replace it and put on a new O-ring. Got my new rear brake hose on and blew out all the lines. Another day down but got some good progress. Blasted my F-body aluminum drums too.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Remember that the axle shaft will need to be 78-81, as they switched to metric studs for the 1982 model year...and the holes in the flange are not the same size between the 2.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Great work. I love the aerobacks.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
wow,first butless,ive seen given attention too :shock: GREAT progress.check out this(which i beleive is a 4 door butless?)some crazy canadians did up! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• cancarsuburban1.JPG
    cancarsuburban1.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 599
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor