HAFRODs 85 Monte Carlo SS budget project

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Yesterday I put on a rebuilt older model Q Jet and today I threw some new parts at the 86 parts cars engine to see if I could get it to run better. Someone has installed a later model 350 in it. It does not have a block mounted fuel pump provision. The electric pump that someone put on is not working. I have been using a Jaguar electric fuel pump into a gas jug on the ground just to fill the Q Jet. My pump is too high pressure. It would fire before but ran very rough. Bar50 and myself were thinking maybe a flat cam. Today after checking the firing order, #5 and #7 wires were crossed. I swapped them around and replaced the spark plugs with new ones which sucked with long tube headers. Lol. I went ahead and dropped in a brand new HEI with new cap and coil that I had bought for my V8 Jaguar project that I traded off. I primed the carb again and it started up and idled pretty smooth. It had a couple noisy rockers for about 20 or 30 seconds then it quieted down. It does not smoke and looking into the valve cover through the oil fill cap hole, it looks remarkably clean. He said the car had been sitting at least 10 years. I'm going to drop the gas tank and clean it out. I'll put on a new sender O ring and sock. I'll also replace the old connection hoses at sender. I basically want to see if I can get it to drive around my neighborhood. This way it will be able to be moved around. This car will eventually be completely stripped to a shell and given back to Bar50. If anything it does have some rust free straight quarter panels. I should be working on my house but you guys know how it is when you get a new toy to play with. Lol. And I just love to tinker anyway

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So my plans are to remove the chassis from the 85 builder and get it blasted. Going to do some chassis smoothing and plating especially whats seen when the hood is open. I'll install new Energy Suspension body mounts and a G Force crossmember. Going to smooth the firewall but retaining the AC/heat box. Going to weld studs to the backside of the firewall where the steering column and gas pedal mounts. I don't want the coarse bolts sticking through like stock. I'll probably smooth the core support top like I did on my Salon. I'll also use ARP bolts in just about everything under the hood. I'm a detail guy and fasteners play a big part

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
lookin forward to the build! if your attention to detail is even half as much as the salon, this thing is going to be a killer car!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fastSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2016
in for the build, good luck with your project.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Met up with Bar50 again today and got my 87 rear body parts. Ended up trading him a door glass for a Malibu I had for an 87 rear defog back window. I want the split lower defog lines for 3rd brake light in my 85. I already have a complete 3rd brake light assembly with wiring and bracket. It's a small detail that I have to have. It helped both of us out too. He also had a 115 speedo that I bought. I love gathering parts. To me it's putting souls of other cars into mine.

Reactions: 2 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
He's leaving out the part about wanting ALL of my Monte SS donor cars....

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
It's always exciting starting a new project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor