Hard Starting When Cold Only.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Since it is an '80 there should be a wire for the electric choke. I would convert and adjust it properly. A well adjusted electric choke is dead-nuts reliable and you will soon forget all about manual chokes.

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
*plops a fiver down on the choke system*

-Gonz

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Since it is an '80 there should be a wire for the electric choke. I would convert and adjust it properly. A well adjusted electric choke is dead-nuts reliable and you will soon forget all about manual chokes.

Thanks as I will try that route.. Appreciate the input.....

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Have you tried cranking the engine to fill the fuel bowl before trying to fire it? That should tell you if it's dry or not.

Yes I sure have and to no avail... I believe it lies in the choke set-up.. I appreciate the follow up my friend.

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
you need to have the choke valve open a little as soon as the car starts. The vacuum breaker opens it a little so I'm not sure with a manual choke how the choke valve is opened

rochester-quadrajet-choke-parts.jpg

When the choke is fully pulled out to full choke it is almost identical to your picture.. When fully open the butterfly is straight up and down...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The butterfly needs to be fully closed with the coke on and once it starts the vaccum breaker pulls it open a little

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
The butterfly needs to be fully closed with the coke on and once it starts the vaccum breaker pulls it open a little

Ok... A big " THANKS " ... That just might might be the issue then. I need to adjust that as when fully choked there is that gap as I seen in your picture. Its not being fully choked when cold. That makes since. Appreciate all your help here. :):)

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Steve is right, it needs to be closed all the way- when cold. Then as soon as it starts you need to pull it open just a bit so it doesn't die. That is what the vacuum operated choke pull-off does. That is why an automatic choke works so well once adjusted. If the pull-off flap opening is 1/8" can you really get that by pulling on the choke handle inside the car? And if it's a little warm can you crack it open the correct amount? Probably not. I used to have cars that used manual chokes but back then the carbs were so rich to begin with you could feather the choke all over the place and just feel the engine respond. Our cars are calibrated within very specific ranges and the automatic choke is a big part of that. There are loads of topics on here that discuss why an engine dies as soon as it starts and the choke pull-off is usually the culprit.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor