Hard Starting When Cold Only.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
When setting the choke how many times do you pump the throttle? Everytime you pump the throttle you squirt fuel directly into the intake. depending on the vehicle and how cold 1-3 times is usually good.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
When setting the choke how many times do you pump the throttle? Everytime you pump the throttle you squirt fuel directly into the intake. depending on the vehicle and how cold 1-3 times is usually good.

I usually pump it several times with the choke manually fully pulled out. Still does not fire up.. After I very small squirt of starting fluid it starts every time and runs fine. All day will start right back up. Next morning does not start. Car runs fantastic while driving with great throttle response as it should. I think I found from others here the choke is not fully closed when choke is fully pulled out. Thanks for your follow up my friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Steve is right, it needs to be closed all the way- when cold. Then as soon as it starts you need to pull it open just a bit so it doesn't die. That is what the vacuum operated choke pull-off does. That is why an automatic choke works so well once adjusted. If the pull-off flap opening is 1/8" can you really get that by pulling on the choke handle inside the car? And if it's a little warm can you crack it open the correct amount? Probably not. I used to have cars that used manual chokes but back then the carbs were so rich to begin with you could feather the choke all over the place and just feel the engine respond. Our cars are calibrated within very specific ranges and the automatic choke is a big part of that. There are loads of topics on here that discuss why an engine dies as soon as it starts and the choke pull-off is usually the culprit.
Steve is right, it needs to be closed all the way- when cold. Then as soon as it starts you need to pull it open just a bit so it doesn't die. That is what the vacuum operated choke pull-off does. That is why an automatic choke works so well once adjusted. If the pull-off flap opening is 1/8" can you really get that by pulling on the choke handle inside the car? And if it's a little warm can you crack it open the correct amount? Probably not. I used to have cars that used manual chokes but back then the carbs were so rich to begin with you could feather the choke all over the place and just feel the engine respond. Our cars are calibrated within very specific ranges and the automatic choke is a big part of that. There are loads of topics on here that discuss why an engine dies as soon as it starts and the choke pull-off is usually the culprit.

Thanks for the follow up as several have said. The same as you have earlier.. I really think I need to shorten the choke cable to take up the difference thats leaving the choke still gapped when fully pulled. Much appreciated for the time you all have gave me on this issue. GREAT FORUM !!!!!!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what do you mean by several times? 3 pumps is about the max you want to pump it. If you flood the engine by too many pumps put the pedal to the floor and it''ll start but don't take your foot off the pedal or it will stall, just feather the pedal till the engine smooths out. I don't think you are flooding the engine since quick start will start the car.

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
what do you mean by several times? 3 pumps is about the max you want to pump it. If you flood the engine by too many pumps put the pedal to the floor and it''ll start but don't take your foot off the pedal or it will stall, just feather the pedal till the engine smooths out. I don't think you are flooding the engine since quick start will start the car.

Yes let me clarify that..... When I first get in the car I pump it one time..Turn switch and it just keeps rolling over. I stop and pump 2 more times which does not make a difference whatsoever. Still only rolls over. Get out and take off air cleaner and do 1 shot of Prestone starting fluid and starts right up with the choke off. I will go get a picture right now and let you see where it is at when fully choked. Also a few pic's of the choke linkage to see if it properly set up. First time ever with this kind of problem... Thanks my forum friend.. I appreciate all you have suggested.

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
Is there anything that you have recently done to the car that you would not associate with it not starting? The reason I ask is because I did have a similar situation after I did a tune up on a 75 Cutlass. finally took it into a garage and they found when I put the distributor cap on I had hooked the center finger of the rotor on the side of the carbon on the cap.. It caused me several weeks of grief and frustration

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would set up the choke so it works properly to see how it starts before looking at anything else. I like to change/fix one thing at a time and test that so I know if something isn't right I don't have to wonder which change/fix is the problem.

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
I would set up the choke so it works properly to see how it starts before looking at anything else. I like to change/fix one thing at a time and test that so I know if something isn't right I don't have to wonder which change/fix is the problem.

Agreed !!!! So here are the pictures. This is fully choked from inside the car my friend.. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 113041

Attachments

• IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 138

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Is there anything that you have recently done to the car that you would not associate with it not starting? The reason I ask is because I did have a similar situation after I did a tune up on a 75 Cutlass. finally took it into a garage and they found when I put the distributor cap on I had hooked the center finger of the rotor on the side of the carbon on the cap.. It caused me several weeks of grief and frustration

No sir I have not. This was a Drag car fro
m years back that

No sir... No changes except I added the inline fuel pressure gauge several months ago... That's it. This has been a work in progress as it was originally set up as a drag car years ago by another person. I have been getting in back to streetable.. Thanks

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia

Agreed ...... I am thinking of shorting the choke cable as it just might get me there......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor