Hard Starting When Cold Only.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Agreed !!!! So here are the pictures. This is fully choked from inside the car my friend.. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 113041

I was thinking you had a quadrajet but I would think the Edelbrock choke should work the same. If I were you I'd get the electric choke that is made for your model of carburetor and set it up as per the instructions from Edelbrock. Or beter yet get a nice quadrajet that comes with the electric choke. The quadrajet will give you better gas milage than the squarebore Edelbrock and you won't lose any performance.

Reactions: 1 user

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
Looking at your pictures, if that is as closed the choke plate goes I would agree that you need to get it adjusted so that it closes fully

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
It sounds like there is no fuel in the carb after it sits. When cold I would watch down the carb and pump the gas to see if it is squirting fuel to make sure the carb has fuel when cold.

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
I was thinking you had a quadrajet but I would think the Edelbrock choke should work the same. If I were you I'd get the electric choke that is made for your model of carburetor and set it up as per the instructions from Edelbrock. Or beter yet get a nice quadrajet that comes with the electric choke. The quadrajet will give you better gas milage than the squarebore Edelbrock and you won't lose any performance.

Ok.. I actually have been pondering that.. I believe that would be the best option here for sure... Thanks for all that you have provided here.. Much appreciated Sir.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Ok.. I actually have been pondering that.. I believe that would be the best option here for sure... Thanks for all that you have provided here.. Much appreciated Sir.

The choke kit for the Edelbrock would be around $100 so you can put that into a quadrajet. As far as the quadrajet I build my own but you could ask the others for the best place to buy a quadrajet

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Looking at your pictures, if that is as closed the choke plate goes I would agree that you need to get it adjusted so that it closes fully

Yes... That as far as it will choke... I believe that is the cure.. This was the set up when I bought the car... Thanks !!!!!

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
It sounds like there is no fuel in the carb after it sits. When cold I would watch down the carb and pump the gas to see if it is squirting fuel to make sure the carb has fuel when cold.

Ok.. I will also check that out with my son the next time he drops by the garage. Thanks !!!!!

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
The choke kit for the Edelbrock would be around $100 so you can put that into a quadrajet. As far as the quadrajet I build my own but you could ask the others for the best place to buy a quadrajet

I was always told many years ago by several old time hot rodders that you can't go wrong with a well adjusted and tuned in Q-Jet .

• Agree

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
you can't go wrong with a well adjusted and tuned in Q-Jet .
Yes indeed. You have stumbled into Q-jet lovers land here. We have all been down the road of "Why doesn't my aftermarket carb work good?" I was going to advise checking the accelerator pump shot even though you said it otherwise runs well. Then seeing that pic of the choke flap just blew all other advice away. That thing is not even close to being closed. There should be a simple adjustable clamp holding the choke cable to the carb. Just loosen and adjust so it is totally shut tight. If it worked right before perhaps someone accidentally yanked on the cable and ruined the adjustment.

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Yes indeed. You have stumbled into Q-jet lovers land here. We have all been down the road of "Why doesn't my aftermarket carb work good?" I was going to advise checking the accelerator pump shot even though you said it otherwise runs well. Then seeing that pic of the choke flap just blew all other advice away. That thing is not even close to being closed. There should be a simple adjustable clamp holding the choke cable to the carb. Just loosen and adjust so it is totally shut tight. If it worked right before perhaps someone accidentally yanked on the cable and ruined the adjustment.

Agreed my friend.... Yes it was running perfect since getting it on the road and then this cropped up. And I do agree with you I need to get that flap closed on full choke. I do believe now after you all have open my eyes that the cable very well could have stretched. I am by no means a carabrator man... most confused on these (LOL)...I really appreciate all the great comments, suggestion, etc. that you as well as the others have gave me. I appreciate the help here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor