Hard wiring dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Thinking about hard wiring my dash on my 81 Elky. Anyone have any ideas about what lamp sockets with pigtails will fit the 1/2 inch holes in the back of the dash for instrument lighting and turn signals?

Attachments

• s-l1601.jpg
    s-l1601.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 153

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Depending on how "hacked-up"the under dash wiring is, you might want to consider finding another harness. That's if yours is beyond repair.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Sounds like a good idea to me. However, you need to do it very neatly and use high quality parts and wire. You need to be adept at soldering and using heat shrink tubing. Do not use cheap insulated crimp connectors. If you need to use connectors, get uninsulated ones and use heat shrink tubing. You also want to be able to have the cluster unplug so that means finding a quality multi connection plug and socket. Could use 2 if necessary.
It will be a fair amount of work but you will have a reliable setup if you do it well. The factory floppy circuit board leaves a lot to be desired. Even when new the resistance to the bulbs is relatively high. When they get old, it really gets bad.

My solution was to go with the Dakota VHX setup. Best $800 I've put in the car. If you can justify the cost. I say do that.

IMG_13152.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I would try to keep original. Find a harness or printed circuit. Pretty easy

• Agree

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Rodger great job on that dash - I can only imagine the detail in the rest of the car. These are the cars that bring $$ above and beyond.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You can buy a new printed circuit from Mikes Montes. I replaced the one in my dash. It made things much easier and at least everything now works. Rewiring your complete dash is a pretty time consuming job. Especially if you do it right. Ive done a good amount of soldering and to be honest its a pain in the butt. Roger1 is spot on with his advice though. Uninsulated terminals, good quality wire (TXL or GXL, or marine grade) and shrink tubing. I used the adhesive lined. You also should use rosen core solder.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Also, if you need short runs of TXL or GXL wire in different colors Ive been buying stuff from wirebarn.com. Price isnt that bad and they have a bunch of colors.

• Informative

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Thanks to everybody for their input. One of the problems I was having was that the clips on the 18 pin connector that hold the connector in place were broken. So was the small piece of dash panel in the bottom right of the opening in dash for the gauges that that connector pushes thru to hold it in place. Got lucky and found a 18 pin connector that actually pushes into that back of the gauge panel and secures itself to the back of the gauge panel. Found it in my garage by accident. Ended up saving me a lot of time.
18pinconnector.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor