Has anyone heard of this mod???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I heard about this mod the other day. You cut back the electrode just a little, at an angle. Then you just line up the opening of the plug to the intake valve. This supposedly makes more complete combustion. Possible hp gains of up to 25.

Can someone tell me if this would be worth trying, or if someone has ever heard of this before?

coolchrisp

Apprentice
Nov 26, 2007
Grosse Ile, MI / Lima, OH
dan2286 said:
I heard about this mod the other day. You cut back the electrode just a little, at an angle. Then you just line up the opening of the plug to the intake valve. This supposedly makes more complete combustion. Possible hp gains of up to 25.

Can someone tell me if this would be worth trying, or if someone has ever heard of this before?

ive never heard of cutting the electrode, but Degreeing the plugs is done to help combustion. yes it does have a gain, but i dont think as high as 25 HP.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
An old timey racer said he found a solid 5 HP on a roller dyno on a ported factory headed sbc 350. This would be from indexing the plugs. Rounding off the corners of the electrodes is also good for helping combustion but nothing you could find on a dyno. So many variables from things like fuel weather etc that it is next to impossible to actually prove the value of these little things but the idea is that they should all add up to.. a little better running motor or an easier to achieve ideal tune. imo

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
The cut is to get a bigger,unschrouded flame kernal. It is a race only mod,since the edge will wear quick causing you to use alot of plugs.

There are also 2 schools of thought on the indexing.

One is opening facing out, electrode's "back" close to the cylinder wall.Similar effect to above ,spark is aimed into the center of the chamber.

The second idea is just the opposite, opening aimed at the cylinder wall. This is to take advanatage to quench area.

The only way to know is to try both,that's why it's called tuning. ;)

Either way,unless you have a really strange combustion chamber, don't expect the 25 hp.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
dan2286 said:

Time for a little common sense. If it really were this easy to get 25 HP by simply changing the plugs, don't you think at least ONE spark plug manufacturer would be selling plugs with this mod already?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
They do. Autolite Racing plugs already have a cut back electrode and i think some of the NGK V-power plugs are cut back and in a v shape. I still wouldn't expect 25 hp though.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
shotgun said:
The cut is to get a bigger,unschrouded flame kernal. It is a race only mod,since the edge will wear quick causing you to use alot of plugs.

There are also 2 schools of thought on the indexing.

One is opening facing out, electrode's "back" close to the cylinder wall.Similar effect to above ,spark is aimed into the center of the chamber.

The second idea is just the opposite, opening aimed at the cylinder wall. This is to take advanatage to quench area.

The only way to know is to try both,that's why it's called tuning. ;)

Either way,unless you have a really strange combustion chamber, don't expect the 25 hp.

What I was told is that you need a really good coil, because it tends to use the max output of the coil.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
spark plugs

My dad used to cut the electrode back on his spark plugs when drag racing, this exposes the spark to more of the air fuel ratio in the cylinder giving it a more complete burn. You also have to have a very good coil, most factory coils won't go over .050 gap, this makes the spark jump to the side of the plug versus just the gap. I don't think you can get a 25 hp gain using this but I do know that you will gain some hp and tq.

BBC_cutty

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2008
the reason for them being cut back is usually for nitruos applications, runs the plug colder, and ignites later....but i dont think it benifits without the use of NOS

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
Plugs

I don't quite understand the nos application. I would think that it would run the plug hotter because your exposing more of the flame to the cylinder because your making the spark jump to the side of the plug instead of just across the electrode, the plug igniting later sounds like a timing problem not a plug problem. Either way you can use this on reg pump gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor