Looking sharp bud,
who makes those H pipe? where can i find an a H pipe ready made for my El co
thanks

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Re: Has anyone installed an H pipe on their G body? I need p

Bro, just get any exhaust shop to put in a custom one. When I did that on my 2nd GP it sounded so good (with Flow 40s), it got stolen 2 days later.

Current one:
6024910138_medium.jpg

6024910139_medium.jpg

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Flowmaster makes an H-pipe kit that I've used on two different cars:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/searc ... c1=Exhaust Accessories&sc2=Pipe Kit&sc3=Balance Pipe Kit&sc4=

15921.jpg

And I have used the universal Summit X-pipe kit on my '87. Let's just say it takes quite a bit of work to make fit right but I wouldn't trade an X-pipe system for the H-pipe ever!

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX

I wouldn't trade my H-pipe for an X-pipe! lol there's a whole science to it but to keep it fairly simply, the H-pipe simply equalizes pressure in both pipes without sacrificing sound or performance. IMO the x-pipe is no better than a y-pipe that opens up to duals. Your having exhaust from both headers/manifolds colliding into one another, reducing sound and flow. And the H-pipe is cheaper.

I had an exhaust shop put mine in for $200. Have 2.5 going from headers to flow 40's, then 2.25 past the muffler to help clear the rear axle housing. Mine would exit behind the tire, but I didn't like how the exhaust crud would gather in my bumper fillers on my malibu. Your el camino has the same ones. So instead, I'm going to have it exit in front of the tires this time.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

patmckinneyracing said:
I wouldn't trade my H-pipe for an X-pipe! lol there's a whole science to it but to keep it fairly simply, the H-pipe simply equalizes pressure in both pipes without sacrificing sound or performance. IMO the x-pipe is no better than a y-pipe that opens up to duals. Your having exhaust from both headers/manifolds colliding into one another, reducing sound and flow. And the H-pipe is cheaper.

Your reasons for not liking the X-pipe are the reasons it actually works better than an H-pipe. By having the exhaust gasses actually having to cross each other it creates more of a scavaging effect than the H-pipe, helping to pull the exhaust out of the engine better.

X-pipes, on average will make more power than an H-pipe while still quieting the exhaust down. However it is said that an H-pipe will help more with the low end torque.

There's a lot of tests out there and almost all of them show the X-pipe performing better than an H-pipe. But your right, an X-pipe can be more expensive and a bit more challenging to install. In either case, every dual exaust system should have at a minimum an H-pipe installed.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Every test I have seen done shows the H pipe helps at low rpm. The X pipe makes more power at all rpm, which makes it better. I got a compact stainless X pipe for around $40.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX

The costs I'm referring to is having it done at an exhaust shop. If I had a pipe bender, I would have done my own exhaust, as I'm sure we all would. I personally, have experience with the H-pipe not the X-pipe and it's much easier to make your own H-pipe at home.

I didn't know the X-pipe was better for scavenging exhaust as I was told differently when I looked it up a couple years back. But I will agree that every car should have a minimun of an H-pipe. I ran both pipes independent at one point, and the H-pipe made a HUGE difference.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Every test I have seen done shows the H pipe helps at low rpm. The X pipe makes more power at all rpm, which makes it better. I got a compact stainless X pipe for around $40.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois

I think the X pipes are better, but the H pipes are better on keeping the sound lower. C5 and C6 Vette's both come with H pipes from the factory. I don't think your really going to feel the difference between an H and X though. I'd be willing to bet it's like a 3-5hp difference if that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor