Not open for further replies.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Re: Has anyone installed an H pipe on their G body? I need p

khan0165 said:
while we're on the subject...
I really wanna get a X-pipe, but it's kinda out of my budget at the moment. I already have a nice 3" straight system, so I can weld an H in there no problem...

I've heard H-pipes improve bottom end... but will this hinder my top end? And what if I just weld in a 2" pipe, instead of 3" like the rest of exhaust?

thanks for your inputs.
It'll still work the same. Top end won't be hindered per se. It compared to an X-pipe, you'll have like 3 - 5 HP less at your top end HP. Not a big deal. But you will sound better and have more low end torque comparably as well.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

jrm81bu said:
bawazir said:
Man **** X pipe , why the hell everyone is talking about X pipe, When this thread clearly for an H pipe in put, I mean DAMN!
H pipe been proven for years in a deep nice sound tone, X pipe just something new, sound like sh*t, it sound like a big *ss landmore on steroid.. my 2 cent,

H pipe rule, 8)

WTF?! What is with people throwing these lil hissy fits? Great you think that because I have an x-pipe my sh*t sounds awful, excuse me if I don't bow down to your sh*t. There is more than one picture of an h-pipe system in this thread. Seems you got what you wanted. I offer pics of my (apperently junk) just to show the crossmember or a different approach, and just get told how awful it is. You did ask if there was a kit, well not one with an h-pipe that I know of, but my pics of an x-pipe was a kit. So if having a kit beacause you can't do it yourself is important then there you go.
Aww don't take him so seriously. I thought it was good. And you SHOULD bow -- both to him, and ME. LOL j/k bro. :roll:

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada

454muscle said:
It'll still work the same. Top end won't be hindered per se. It compared to an X-pipe, you'll have like 3 - 5 HP less at your top end HP. Not a big deal. But you will sound better and have more low end torque comparably as well.
thanks for that info!
looks like I'll save some cash for now and just weld in an H...

another question:
I have 3" straight pipes. Will I cause problems if I weld in a smaller pipe, like 2" or 2.5", for the H?

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

khan0165 said:
454muscle said:
thanks for that info!
looks like I'll save some cash for now and just weld in an H...

another question:
I have 3" straight pipes. Will I cause problems if I weld in a smaller pipe, like 2" or 2.5", for the H?
Nope. Still same effect of equalizing the left and right pulses ;)

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada

khan0165,

Here's a photo of what I installed. The piping is 3" (mandrel bent) with an "X" crossover (all stainless). The headers are Hooker Super Competition ceramic-coated with 2" primary and 3.5" collectors. The catalytics are "for show" only and the car passes emissions.
normal_Pratsyuyemo_Nad_Avtom_003.jpg

BTW, you're almost my neighbour -- Ottawa, eh!

Andry

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

kiko said:
khan0165,

Here's a photo of what I installed. The piping is 3" (mandrel bent) with an "X" crossover (all stainless). The headers are Hooker Super Competition ceramic-coated with 2" primary and 3.5" collectors. The catalytics are "for show" only and the car passes emissions.
normal_Pratsyuyemo_Nad_Avtom_003.jpg

BTW, you're almost my neighbour -- Ottawa, eh!

Andry
Interesting about passing emisssions... but you probably mean that it's exempt from e-testing so nobody will really bother actually testing it, especially since it has the supposed catalytic converters. Mine sounds like sh*t because of the cats, so I'm thinking of emptying out the insides of my cats, but on the other hand, I'm afraid of it being way too loud and I don't want any corrupt sons of b*tches of cops pulling me over due to excessive noise. Your exhaust system is ****ing clean, as is the rest of the car. Wish mine was like that.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada

454muscle,

Yes, the car is too old to require bi-annual emissions testing here in Ontario. What I meant is that if an "officer of the law" pulls me over for an "eye test", he'll either do it because he's a "car guy" and wants to check out the engine, or has a bad day and checks to see if the car complies with all those esotheric laws. Of course, he's not going to take those cats apart, so my hope is that he'll just wish me a safe day... (It already happened once).

Andry

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

kiko said:
454muscle,

Yes, the car is too old to require bi-annual emissions testing here in Ontario. What I meant is that if an "officer of the law" pulls me over for an "eye test", he'll either do it because he's a "car guy" and wants to check out the engine, or has a bad day and checks to see if the car complies with all those esotheric laws. Of course, he's not going to take those cats apart, so my hope is that he'll just wish me a safe day... (It already happened once).

Andry
Ahh ok, thanks for the explanation Andy. I've had the same mentality until I heard quite a few horror stories where the cop made the driver jack up his car, crawled under there to tap the cats with a screwdriver to hear the sound, check to see if it sounds hollow. If there was a doubt, he confiscates the car on the spot, takes the keys, has the car towed to a test facility for checking (along with a hefty ticket) and if you lied the cop, you're screwed. It's legit, and face it, cops are not stupid and hate being made a fool of. Hence my conclusion to just keep it all up to spec.

On second thought, have you ever done any of those Dynamat tests inside a Performance Improvements location? Some locations have a little test unit where you take a little hammer and hit a piece of body panel, one with, and one without a tiny piece of dynamat stuck onto it. The one with the dynamat sounds totally dead and goes "thump" while the other one sends out a high pitched dingy sound. So, dynamat might be a way to fool the "officers of the law" into thinking your cats are, in fact, full of stuff. Hmmmmmm gonna think about that one. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor