Status
Not open for further replies.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Re: Has anyone installed an H pipe on their G body? I need p

olds307 and 403 said:
Every test I have seen done shows the H pipe helps at low rpm. The X pipe makes more power at all rpm, which makes it better. I got a compact stainless X pipe for around $40.
Not true my friend. Tests I've seen have shown marginal increase in HP over TQ for an X-pipe (high RPM), whereas the H-pipe showed marginally more TQ and less HP (low RPM), but there was more of a difference in the TQ numbers. Depends on the size of the engine and total power numbers. Also, it mattered whether or not a catalytic converter was used.

No sense arguing over this anyways, because the differences are MARGINAL or better to just say NEGLIGIBLE because none of you will do a 1/4 mile together to prove anything here. All you guys are arguing about is THEORY so it's kinda pointless. This argument has been beaten to death time and time again, even on this very forum.

Bottom line is how does it sound. H-pipes give you a lower frequence, deep tone, and some drone (like the old 5.0 mustangs used to sound) and an X-pipe gives you a little higher pitched (louder), throatier tone.

Which do you want to sound like?

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA

I've got an 2.5" H-pipe on my '96 LT1 9C1 Caprice and an 3" X-pipe on my '83 455 Cutlass. I've also got a buddy who also has a '96 LT1 9C1 Caprice with a 2.5" X-pipe. I love the deeper sound of the H-pipe on my '96 over the sound of my buddy's x-pipe or mine. Power wise, I can't say that I've noticed a big difference between the two Caprices with the different pipes.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC

Im still undecided on which one i would do H or X i know i want flowmaster super 40s muffler lol is there any mufflers that have H and X together i would like low end and top power lol.

Cutty454

Apprentice
Jul 8, 2010
blackwood,new jersey

Mike P said:
I went with a Pypes X pipe too along with turbo mufflers and Flowmaster tail pipes modified to exit behind the tire on my 83 El Camino.

HeadXpipe.jpg

xpipemufflers.jpg

lrtailpipes.jpg

tailpipetip.jpg

the hanger you used right behind the muffler how did u mount that to the car do u have any pics im tryin to hang my exaust but mine dumps infront of the rear im not using tail pipes

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010

454muscle said:
Bro, just get any exhaust shop to put in a custom one. When I did that on my 2nd GP it sounded so good (with Flow 40s), it got stolen 2 days later.

Current one:
6024910138_medium.jpg

6024910139_medium.jpg

That look sweet, is that catholic converter i see?

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona

On the brackets at the rear of the mufflers I MIG welded those to the floor pan.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

bawazir said:

:?: :?: :?: Didn't know an exhaust system could be Holy. :lol:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

FE3X CLONE said:
bawazir said:

:?: :?: :?: Didn't know an exhaust system could be Holy. :lol:
Well, I don't think they're Catholic, they're just "Christian" -- high-flow Magnaflow 3" catalytic converters -- I wanted to be 100% street legal because with as much stuff done to the car, in case I get any arrogant cops pull me over (as I've had in the past) they can go over the car with a fine-toothed comb and will conclude that all is legal and legit. And yes, they're holy, as in "holy sh*t that sounds BEAST" lol :p

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.

bawazir said:
454muscle said:
Bro, just get any exhaust shop to put in a custom one. When I did that on my 2nd GP it sounded so good (with Flow 40s), it got stolen 2 days later.

Current one:
6024910138_medium.jpg

6024910139_medium.jpg

Looks more protestant too me :rofl:

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010

H pipe is a fat set up,
I like the way the H pipe sound, X pipe sound like a a farted import

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor