has anyone installed this frame notch kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
Screenshot_2015-11-17-13-40-06.png
It looks pretty sweet. I'm gonna buy it. Just hoping for some tips or feedback from someone that has installed the kit

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
View attachment 45068 It looks pretty sweet. I'm gonna buy it. Just hoping for some tips or feedback from someone that has installed the kit

It does look nice but I'm not convinced that the 1/4" steel is the key to preventing a quarter from buckling. The "possible other suspension problems" is an interesting comment. From a physics standpoint the thicker steel won't hurt but in my opinion isn't necessarily required if the notch is braced properly.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I notched my Monte rear frame about 12 years ago I welded a roll bar to the inside of the frame rails for extra support and then cut out the section of frame and cut it down to fit that area and then I welded it back in and used 1/4" steel plate to fill the ends and this obviously works since it holds up to the power and torque of my big block.
I have maybe $20 into my frame notch kit and no shipping required.

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
When I notched my Monte rear frame about 12 years ago I welded a roll bar to the inside of the frame rails for extra support and then cut out the section of frame and cut it down to fit that area and then I welded it back in and used 1/4" steel plate to fill the ends and this obviously works since it holds up to the power and torque of my big block.
I have maybe $20 into my frame notch kit and no shipping required.
You wouldn't happen to live near Los Angeles would you? And what size wheels are tires did the notch allow you to run?

It does look nice but I'm not convinced that the 1/4" steel is the key to preventing a quarter from buckling. The "possible other suspension problems" is an interesting comment. From a physics standpoint the thicker steel won't hurt but in my opinion isn't necessarily required if the notch is braced properly.
I agree but I would buy it to have the right material so I can take it a body shop since I don't have the tools or know anyone that can fabricate it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor