Has anyone replaced their fuel lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
I am looking at replacing my entire fuel system (tank to pump) on my 85 Cutlass. I am having a hard time finding direct replacement fuel lines for my car. Are their any companies that make them? I have found brake lines, but not fuel lines. If anyone has done this please let me know. Thanks. Also, I did an engine swap with a 72' Buick 350 and it doesn't use the return line to the tank. I just have a breather on the line now, when I replace the lines can I switch to a two line system?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
alphamale said:
I am looking at replacing my entire fuel system (tank to pump) on my 85 Cutlass. I am having a hard time finding direct replacement fuel lines for my car. Are their any companies that make them? I have found brake lines, but not fuel lines. If anyone has done this please let me know. Thanks. Also, I did an engine swap with a 72' Buick 350 and it doesn't use the return line to the tank. I just have a breather on the line now, when I replace the lines can I switch to a two line system?

These guys make nice stuff. http://www.classictube.com/

Nov 4, 2012
Honestly the lines aren't that hard to fab up yourself if you buy an inexpensive line bender. I believe harbor freight has one for less than $10.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 667

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
I made my own for my '79 Century wagon.

I used cupro-nickel tubing ( the same stuff used for brake pipes), it lasted at least 8 years with unleaded gas, when the car was parted out because the rest of it was falling apart. Cost me £8 for a 3 meter roll of tubing and a couple of hours of my time.

Roger.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I bought bulk lines from Northern Auto and made my own. Use unions, not compression fittings. Easy peasy.

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
Thanks for the help gentlemen. I am currently deployed, so I have some time to acquire a good tube bender. Any recommendation on type of line. I'm assuming I would use my old lines as a template for the new ones?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The lines I used were brake lines too. After they were installed I POR-15'd them to resist rust. I found it difficult to match the factory lines as they were installed without the body in place. I ran them to be convenient to me. Are you friendly with anyone in the motor pool or maintenance section? They use tubing benders all the time and can show you how to use it. I would get them to show you how to make a double flare too.

mudpaws

Apprentice
Oct 26, 2010
Long Island, NY
joesregalproject said:
Honestly the lines aren't that hard to fab up yourself if you buy an inexpensive line bender. I believe harbor freight has one for less than $10.

Who makes this chrome bender you show in this picture??? Thanks

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
First off DO NOT SCRIMP on a tubing bender!!!!! The majority of the cheap ones do nothing more than kink the lines at more than a 45 degree angle. A good bender should last you a life time sp why go thru the aggravation.

I bought one of these 7 or 8 years ago and it works beautifully to include up to 180 degree bends.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/t ... 470-fh.php

You will also need a tubing cutter and a double flare set.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900310/overview/

In addition to the double flares for the joints, if you just do the first step of the flare using the die you can also make a nice factory type end on the line for connecting a rubber fuel line at the tank and fuel pump.

I usually buy steel line at the local parts store in 25’ bulk rolls and also buy the flare nuts in bulk.

It’s kind of a PIA project, but usually time well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor