Have high powered factory cars ruined hotrodding???

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Year, color, trans, rear end gears, shaker hood or standard Cuda twin scoop??? I'm so jealous, man lol. I bet that was a real hoot cruising in that thing thing in the 80s. How long did you own it? Ever run it down the track? Was it stock? Sorry for all the questions but I love Mopar muscle and 1970-74 Barracudas are some of my favorites.

I had 3 'cuda's but the 440-6 was triple black car built on the last day of 1970 production. The coded options were "whatever was left on the shelf"

It had a black shaker, which was supposed to be incorrect for a 1970 ("Experts" wanted us to paint it Argent), but since it was built on the last day before they switched the line to '71's it made sense it had a 1971 shaker bubble. The tag was coded "rim blow" steering wheel and it had a Dodge Rim blow steering wheel. It was a manual brake, Manual steering, auto on the column, 3.23 geared, buckets with no console stripper, but also had a 6 way seat, which was weird for a stripper, but is the only thing that makes a cuda's awkward sit on the floor with your legs stretched straight out driving position bearable. Every 'Cuda needed this option std.

We had all of the paperwork from new. The sticker was $4,400. It sat on the lot well into 1971 and sold for $3,400 and the Original owner got $1,500 trading in his '69 VW bug from the dealer.

When we bought it was jacked up in the air with airshocks, N50's and 9" wide wheels in back, cherry bomb side exits In front of the back tires and he cut the front fender corners to fit the wrong offset front wheels he put on. He kept the 15X7 ralleys/center caps and exhaust tips and the car was pretty much untouched and parked due to high gas prices until we bought it in 1986.

Restoration took a few months, but it got a page in Musclecar review back in the 1990's:

We sold it for I think $36K to a guy that bought my '71 convert. If I held onto it two more years I probably could have got double.
blkcuda.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
I had 3 'cuda's but the 440-6 was triple black car built on the last day of 1970 production. The coded options were "whatever was left on the shelf"

It had a black shaker, which was supposed to be incorrect for a 1970 ("Experts" wanted us to paint it Argent), but since it was built on the last day before they switched the line to '71's it made sense it had a 1971 shaker bubble. The tag was coded "rim blow" steering wheel and it had a Dodge Rim blow steering wheel. It was a manual brake, Manual steering, auto on the column, 3.23 geared, buckets with no console stripper, but also had a 6 way seat, which was weird for a stripper, but is the only thing that makes a cuda's awkward sit on the floor with your legs stretched straight out driving position bearable. Every 'Cuda needed this option std.

We had all of the paperwork from new. The sticker was $4,400. It sat on the lot well into 1971 and sold for $3,400 and the Original owner got $1,500 trading in his '69 VW bug from the dealer.

When we bought it was jacked up in the air with airshocks, N50's and 9" wide wheels in back, cherry bomb side exits In front of the back tires and he cut the front fender corners to fit the wrong offset front wheels he put on. He kept the 15X7 ralleys/center caps and exhaust tips and the car was pretty much untouched and parked due to high gas prices until we bought it in 1986.

Restoration took a few months, but it got a page in Musclecar review back in the 1990's:

We sold it for I think $36K to a guy that bought my '71 convert. If I held onto it two more years I probably could have got double.
blkcuda.jpg

Oh man, triple black with a black shaker and no hockey stripe... That's just mean looking; Darth Vadar 'Cuda! Looks like it has hood pins too which is even cooler still. If you have any pics of it in pro-street form I'd like to see them.

Did you drive it much back in the 80s? With 3.23 gears and auto probably ran about a 14.3 1/4 mi? With modern tires high 13's?

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016

blkcuda.jpg
You know this story sounds familiar.....did the article talk about how you got it?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
You know this story sounds familiar.....did the article talk about how you got it?

I'm sure I've told the story before. People have told me stories about "this guy running 11's with the stock cleaner box on a GN" and I'm like "Really? That sounds fast" (I had a contest on Turbobuick dot com to guess how fast it would go the first time I tried it - it went 11.92 - turbobuickdotcom's servers got corrupted in the early 2000's, so anything pre 2001 disappeared, so people just vaguely remembered stuff happening before that).

There is was an article 30 years ago about "the last 1970 Hemicuda" built and it rolled out on the same day as our car did (like July 7, right after the 4th). I ran across the car in Dallas at a car show. It also just had a bunch of options thrown on it. I don't even think it had a shaker.

In 1988, We had another one of those "so that explains it" moments. I was reading a Muscle car review article about the "1970 Twister Special Torino". We had just bought a CJ Torino Cobra from farmer in Western Nebraska for $5,000. Dad calls the farmer up and asked if the car "ever had stripes". He told yeah, but they started peeling after a couple years so I peeled them off. I went out to the garage and could just barely make out where the stripes were. I traced the stripe outline and send the stencil to Terry Fritts who was in the MCR article and he reproduced stripes based on our pattern.

twister001.jpg

The farmer we bough the car from said "it was rare". We told him, they made 7,000 Torino Cobras in 1970... not that rare. Ford only made 90 Twister Special Torinos in 1970, and only 3 non SCJ cars like ours, so the farmer was right.

Last edited:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Your taste in beer is outstanding :)

When my son turns 21, I'm thinking of redoing the paint/body on my 2+2 and doing a vintage Pabst Blue Ribbon livery. Since he's still under 18 and drives the car, that won't fly just yet, but it gives me a couple years to plan. The paint/body was done in 1998, so it is due for a refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor