Have high powered factory cars ruined hotrodding???

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Everyone isn't seeking the approval, validation, or respect of others. People are entitled to buy whatever makes them happy. It just so happens that now you can buy nearly 1K hp from a dealership with a warranty. Driving schools are also an option for the douchebags that choose to pursue it.

I totally agree, but that is not what generally happens and didn't happen with the thousands of wrecked supercars out there.

They are more than happy to take their 840 HP Demon to a track and put it into the wall. I fully 100% support their right to do so. Don't expect me to oohh and awww over their ability to get a $100K car loan, however.

"Ooohh... you have such good credit. What is your credit score?"

At an open road race we do in Nebraska they used to have an "unlimited class". Who could go the fastest down a winding, 2 lane road with no shoulders for 57 miles. Ron Adee (who has won Car & Drivers 1 lap of America at least twice) with a Carbon Fiber tube frame 2,200lb, 1,100 HP twin turbo Viper that has 2000lbs of down force @ 200 mph set the record at like 154 mph average (the previous record was like 136 mph average with a full on 9500 RPM NASCAR car). Ron was clocked on Radar at over 220mph and was taking 45 mph corners at over 120 mph.

As you can imagine the "Unlimited class" was rife with spectacular car destroying crashes, grass fires and other multiple hour causing race stoppages. Because the "unlimited class" had to be run first (because they would run over anyone else on track), The 140 racers behind the 3-5 "unlimited guys" had to bake in the hot sun while their messes were cleaned up. So they got rid of the unlimited class.

One Unlimited class DB pipes up..."but what about us?"

I ask him "how fast have you EVER run up that road?"

He says "uhhh 135 mph".

I then ask him "Do you EVER think you have chance of beating Rod Adee's 154 mph average?"

"Well no, but I'd like to be able to set a 'personal best'"

Nobody gives a **** about YOUR "personal best", douchebag.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Won't know what he could've accomplished without at least trying. Not all car guys are the same, and that's actually good for the hobby. Monotony is boring. I can admit that I only care about cruising and street racing. I go to the dragstrip to support my family and friends that choose to race there.
I'm personally enjoying the modern muscle revival since my mother wasn't even born during the peak of the original muscle car era.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I love to drag race, im also out trying to bet my personal best. That's why we all race.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I'll kick in my thoughts on the demon. I personally don't really think ma Mopar expects to sell many of them at any real speed. I think it was a marketing scheme. Think of all the people that as a result of all the fanfare of the demon will run out and buy a v6 challenger. One of the oldest marketing tricks in the book. Make a low number run of crazy cars. People wanna emulate the look. I predict a surge of v6 challengers with similar wheels to the demon swapped on.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I love to drag race, im also out trying to bet my personal best. That's why we all race.

Setting "personal bests" is great, but DB's do it on other people's time and feel like it's an entitlement to do so. I'm faster than you, therefore you need to watch me while I race. I'll let you know when you can have the track back.

The first time a DB in a demon comes off the transbrake sideways, hits the wall hard, dumps fluid all over the track and delays a busy street night drags for a hour while they clean up the mess, watch the pitchforks and torches come out to "kill the rich guy!"

You may not believe me now, but if you go to the track, you will see it happen in the near future.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
In 1986 We bought a 440-6 'Cuda with 27K miles for $6,500. By the mid 1990s it was worth $20,000. By the late 1990's it was worth $30K, by 2002 it was worth $60K.

People had stopped modifying "real" big block musclecars in the 1990s unless they were too far gone to restore, because there was so much more money in putting them back to stock (and they were not all that fast by 1990's standards, stock).

The current restomod craze is a revolt against the concours car show guys putting muscle cars (that were cheap and meant to be driven) in trailers and dragging them to car shows instead of competing with other muscle cars on race tracks.

Year, color, trans, rear end gears, shaker hood or standard 'Cuda twin scoop??? I'm so jealous, man lol. I bet that was a real hoot cruising in that thing thing in the 80s. How long did you own it? Ever run it down the track? Was it stock? Sorry for all the questions but I love Mopar muscle and 1970-74 Barracudas are some of my favorites.

Last edited:

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014

[in a Ferrari dealership]
Roger the Car Salesman: My name's Roger, Sir. May I be of some help?
Memphis: That's funny, my name's Roger... Two Rogers don't make a right.
[laughs]
Memphis: Roger, I have a problem...
Roger the Car Salesman: Yes?
Memphis: I've been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have taste. But I'm not on anybody's "A" list, and Saturday night is the loneliest night for the week for me.
Roger the Car Salesman: Well, a Ferrari would certainly change that.
Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...
Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.
Memphis: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

One of my favorite scenes, thanks for posting! I've talked to some guys that really don't like the 2000 remake. I think they did a great job modernizing it and making it a modern blockbuster for the masses.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor