hazy chrome trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

79BuWagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2009
Vancouver Wa
A lot of the chrome on my trim has a haze to it . Ive tried polishing it out with no sucess . Is there a clear coat of some kind on it ? Can it be removed and repolished ?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Some of the trim is stainless while other bits are anodized aluminum. If you try to polish the aluminum you'll end up burning through the anodize and it'll look like absolute crap.

Only way to handle the aluminum would be to strip the anodize layer, polish the aluminum and then have them reanodized.

Stainless should be able to just be polished.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Run down to NAPA and get some "neverdull" in the car care section....This stuff works really well and it's not that expensive either. Just a thought 8)

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I'd give Mother's mag polish a try. This stuff has worked wonders on things for me. I bought a dull looking, stainless .357 and now it looks like chrome after some elbow grease. I polished a satin finish, stainless slide on my .40SW to a mirror finish too. I've used it on tarnished brass that Neverdull and Brasso couldn't put a dent in, but looks like new after using Mother's (no offense JBreu). I'm a skeptic from hell but I stand behind this stuff 100%.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

79BuWagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2009
Vancouver Wa
Thanks for all the replies . From what I can tell , the window trim as well as the roof drip rail and part of the roof rack are indeed aluminum . I did try Mothers and in this application it didnt do much which would make sense if anodized . I did try and sand a small area out of view and once you get thru the anodizing it polishes up beautifully . The problem for me is I was hoping to NOT remove it all . Sanding thru the coating is not my idea of having fun exactly but I dont want to paint it either . Im wondering tho , what caused the anodizing to haze ? Some of it did and some of it didnt at all and some spots worse than others .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor