head gaskets bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
So I've been having issues with my cooling system it began to run hotter than normal. So first I did I good flush. Worked good for a few day then I replace the hoses and radiator. Worked good and again it kept going to 220 plus. When I never did before. I finally replace the clutch fan. And that seem to be the problem. So today in the morning I did a tune up and found condensation on the oil cap.. :wtf: so am screwed! ! !
Head gaskets right. No smoke from tailpipe no loss coolant. But car does get hot if driving around town.

Anyways plugs were replace last week and they seem fine. Oil coming from the pan looked good not milky at all only a small amount of that jelly like stuff on the cap...
Am planing on doing a LS swap soon. So my question is can I just get away with just replacing the head gaskets.. I need the car to hold on for atleast a month or month n ahalf. I drive it monday thru thursday. Drive only 25miles all on highway with some traffic in the afternoons. I really don't want to spend too much money on the engine since am gonna pull it as soon as I get all the stuff for the LS swap.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if your not losing coolant then it's not leaking into the cylinders or crankcase....220º is not overheating but if it's running hotter than it normally does it could be the thermostat or the rad isn't flowing as good as it use to. I've seen older rads get flushed and the scale gets disturbed. That scale can float around and end up accumulating to impede the flow

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
pontiacgp said:
if your not losing coolant then it's not leaking into the cylinders or crankcase....220º is not overheating but if it's running hotter than it normally does it could be the thermostat or the rad isn't flowing as good as it use to. I've seen older rads get flushed and the scale gets disturbed. That scale can float around and end up accumulating to impede the flow

Man I really hope that what it is and that I can still drive that sucker.. my dad also told me about how that crap on the radiator can just get moved around.. gonna go and buy the thermostat its only a few bucks..

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
All Motor Boys said:
Condensation on the oil cap is some what normal depending on you pcv system.
Whats your engine set up ?

Well today I did a quick oil, oil filter and air filter and also picked up the pcv.
O and my monte carlo is a v6 4.3 :blam: I know but its been good to me and its at 117k original miles engines never had any kind of work. Just regular maintance

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Before you start switching parts when the engine is cold take the cap off the rad, let it warm up and see what kind of flow you have..Also you said you changed the rad hoses, i hope the lower had the spring in it so the hose doesn't collapse which would cause it to run hot

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
pontiacgp said:
Before you start switching parts when the engine is cold take the cap off the rad, let it warm up and see what kind of flow you have..Also you said you changed the rad hoses, i hope the lower had the spring in it so the hose doesn't collapse which would cause it to run hot

I've taken the rad cap off and the flow doesn't seem to good. As far as the wire coil n the lower hose. It had one before and I couldn't find any autozone who had it. So no I replaced it by a regular one. U think I should really look for one of those hose. I can try o Reilly s or maybe pepboys.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You can see the lower hose so check to see if it's collapses when you rev the engine, if not it should be alright. If the flow isn't too good and the fluid is clean then maybe the thermostat isn't opening all the way.

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
pontiacgp said:
You can see the lower hose so check to see if it's collapses when you rev the engine, if not it should be alright. If the flow isn't too good and the fluid is clean then maybe the thermostat isn't opening all the way.

Well today I woke up and went to turn on the car. And white smoke came out the tailpipe for a few minutes. . And coolant was low. So could I just take a risk and half *ss it and just R&R the head gaskets.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
white smoke out of the exhaust at start up in the morning isn't unusual. If it's burning coolant the smoke does not go away and you can't help but notice the smell of burning coolant. You mentioned the car gets hot driving around town but what's it like on the highway. Also have you confirmed that the temperature reading is accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor