headlight bucket question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
Hi,
I have a 79 Cutlass with a 78 header panel, as I realized when looking to replace the grilles.

Just out of curiosity, I started looking for evidence of an accident. On the back of the headlight buckets, there is a threaded stud. On the driver's side, it's broken off. On the passenger side, it's there, but attached to nothing. Behind it, it appears that the sheet metal was pushed in, and then pulled out in a sloppy fashion. What are these studs supposed to be attached to with a nut? If anyone has a pic handy, that would be great.

Thanks!

Tom

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what you are describing sounds like the adjustment screws. They hold the bucket in place along with a spring

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
No, its a single threaded stud at the back, pointing rearward. Maybe it's the part behind the "bucket."

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hi,
I have a 79 Cutlass with a 78 header panel, as I realized when looking to replace the grilles.

Just out of curiosity, I started looking for evidence of an accident. On the back of the headlight buckets, there is a threaded stud. On the driver's side, it's broken off. On the passenger side, it's there, but attached to nothing. Behind it, it appears that the sheet metal was pushed in, and then pulled out in a sloppy fashion. What are these studs supposed to be attached to with a nut? If anyone has a pic handy, that would be great.

Thanks!

Tom

Pics would help, but, there are two things that come to mind.

1) as stated above, are the headlamp angle adjustment screws... these attach to the sides of the headlamp bucket themselves, then screw into a plastic base that clips into a rectangular hole in the header panel.

2) there is one stud on each side that runs from the backside of the header panel itself, passes into a hole in the radiator support, and is fastened from behind the radiator support with a single nut.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Pics would help, but, there are two things that come to mind.

1) as stated above, are the headlamp angle adjustment screws... these attach to the sides of the headlamp bucket themselves, then screw into a plastic base that clips into a rectangular hole in the header panel.

2) there is one stud on each side that runs from the backside of the header panel itself, passes into a hole in the radiator support, and is fastened from behind the radiator support with a single nut.

2 Is what I thought of when the OP described it. Cutlass's were the only G body to get these braces.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor