Headlight mounting on el camino ss choo choo front end

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I guess they made revisions over the years. I like the newer way, I can install the complete headlight assembly after painting. With the nose on the car . Check with Honest Charley’s, salesman John Sullivan , he may have a solution to your problem .
I have zero complaints about the way my totally original one was put together. I think it's better to paint the nose off the car anyway. You can do a much better job that way especially on the egg-crate grille. Being able to spray the grille from the backside helps a lot in getting enough paint on it.

IMG_01781.JPG

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
All choo choo noses are mounted the same way. I have a 83&86 and my uncle has a 86.

Aftermarket noses are all fiberglass and the original is material as 83-88 Monte Carlo ss

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I did make one improvement to make it easier to R&R the nose.
I tack welded the heads of the bolts to the brackets.

IMG_5426.JPG

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I also made an improvement to the nose itself. The top panels on these can warp from time and heat. I used a heat gun to warm and straighten ought some and then JB Welded some aluminum U channel to the underside for support.
I then finished off the top with a skim coat of flexible filler. Brushed on some black SPI epoxy primer first.

IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

IMG_5685.JPG

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I also upgraded to Hella headlight housings with H1 and H4 bulbs. I really like these.
I wired them using 2 relays.

IMG_04461.JPG

I did modify the headlight buckets. Opened the rear holes up some.

IMG_04421.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor