headlight switch and dash lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Tahiti - French Polynesia
Hi guys !

My previous headlight switch made a short I guess because It started burning one day. After I saw some smoke I stopped the headlights and ordered a new one.

I just received a new headlight switch and I thought It would fix the problem but the first time I put it in place, it began heating up too (I saw the little spring in front of the headlight switch beggining burning in a red color !! I stopped retried and now it's ok, I don't know why, but it doesn't heat up anymore and my headlights tailights are working ! Has anyone an explanation for the burning headlight switch ?

But now I would like my dash lights to light when I pull the headlight switch.
But as soon as I pull it, I hear the fuse (the instrument panel lights fuse) that blows... what can it be ??
I guess I have maybe a short somewhere but I don't know how to find it and where it can be !

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It sounds like there could be a chaffed wire under the dash. You need a wiring diagram to identify the wire that feeds power from the headlight switch to the dash lights and give it a visual inspection. You really need to do some looking under there. It sounds to me when you first installed the replacement switch, you had a short, hence the glowing 'spring'. I'm guessing that by moving the wiring around, now the bad section of wire isn't making contact with ground.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
I will try to check the wires going to the headlight switch but it's not easy as everything is behind the black part of the dash !

Do you think its possible to bridge a 12V ignition wire to the wire going to dash light in order to get the dashlights work as soon as I put contact ?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It will likely take a fair amount of disassembly to find the problem but I think finding and fixing the problem would be better than trying to jump around the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Hi again, I followed your advice and finally I will try to avoid to use the 12v ignition wire instead of the wire going from the cluster to headlight switch.
So I disassembled the dash and I have new elements to share with you :
I've found a diagram in my haynes book for the dash lights :

So i've found out that :

- I don't find any visible dead short (used wire for exemple)

- I think the grey wire (for the dash lights) which is in the plug behind the cluster is grounded, because when I put contact, it has 0 ohms resistance with the ground wire juste next to it.
It would explain why when I pull the headlight switch, the fuse blows as it deliver 12v on 1 side and ground the other side
of the fuse.

- my dimmer switch which is located of the steering column is not hooked. Is it the same dimmer switch that is on the wiring diagram ?? could it be a problem to not have it hooked ? because I don't find the plug to hook it.. maybe the previous owner withdrew it ?

- I see on the diagram that the radio, clock and ashtray light are on the same grey wire that I think is grounded. I have an aftermarket radio which works normally but do you think It can have the grey wire grounded and be the root of the problem ?

Sorry for all these questions but I'm new to electrical problems and it's so hard for me to fix this !

Thanks !!

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Hi guys !!
Finally I found out the problem for the dash lights. I checked all the grey wires looking for a dead short to the ground, and I found one behind the radio which was hanging and touching the ashtray metal !
So now all my dash lights work back !! Great !
Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor