Not open for further replies.

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
ok so auto zone lists 2 headlight switches from delco for my 87 g code ss

this 7 prong that says us model version:

and this unclassified 8 prong:

anyone know the difference or why i should or shouldn't get the 8 prong.

with that out of the way here is the issue i put in a dakota digital rtx cluster i also have the cheapest amazon led headlights i could find, they keep blinking out of existence while driving i can whack the swaitch area and they come back to life briefly so i can only guess my switch decided to crap out somehow the dakota digital instructions tell you to gut the switch of the resistor so the cluster get s ful voltage all the time so it works right, i see no problem with that i just think the original switch didnt like being messed with after all these years and needs replaced now.

and yes i know the go to should be dixie or mikes but their sites don't tell me if they actually having this in stock and want to get it ordered asap

Last edited:

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
In a situation like that I buy both and return the one I don't need

True, but I would take a look at whats in there already first... maybe its an extra pin that is (or isn't) used?

Good idea, tho.. But fair warning, some places are picky about returning electrical parts.

-Gonz

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
There is a button on the bottom of the switch body. Push it in and you can pull the knob and rod out to get the fiber retainer nut off. I have used a gasket scraper as a really big screwdriver on that nut, but a small square piece of 16 ga sheet metal also works.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Parts book calls out 82-88 G-body Monte (and Cadillac) as 1995217. ACDelco number D1506A. No supersession numbers I can find.

You don't want the other one, I wouldn't think. That D1588 fits stuff like 64-67 Corvettes and older stuff, best I can find. P/N 1995179.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
Parts book calls out 82-88 G-body Monte (and Cadillac) as 1995217. ACDelco number D1506A. No supersession numbers I can find.

You don't want the other one, I wouldn't think. That D1588 fits stuff like 64-67 Corvettes and older stuff, best I can find. P/N 1995179.

thank you, that is the exact advice i was hoping for, appreciate you man!

Reactions: 1 users

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
so the headlight switch napa sold me had 7 tabs like delco 1506 but had 3 distinct detent clicks in it where mind had 2 i disregarded that at first until i had the headlight issue my old one never had a issue the new one wouldn't last on 10 minutes with the headlights on and they are low draw led, the headlight was hot after 5 minutes of being on not melt plastic hit but enough that it was unpleasant to hold when we disconnected and removed it a new delco 1506 and its fine i drove the car for a hour at night and it was perfect not even a flicker from the lights. just thought id leave a update incase anyone ever has the same issue.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
ibought the headlight switch for my 1980 cutlass calais and found out it was a one year only, some beach , some where
One year only? Who told you that crap? From the parts book listing, the 1995217 switch covers A body Olds and F body from 76-81 and fits the G-body for 82-88 in most places wherever pull knobs were used. Technically, the part number has been superseded over the years and you can use a headlamp switch from an Olds 69-82 A/G body if needed. The old Delco p/n is D1589 superseded to D1506A. The 76-80 all use the same knob pull as well, p/n 463440. Except starting in 1981, when they went to the "ISO" marked lamp knob, which was pretty much the same except it had a headlamp drawing on it (p/n 14022019).

When it comes to electrical stuff, the old school ACDelco made in USA parts is hard to beat for dependability. I don't trust anything else. Not saying there isn't any good aftermarket parts out there, but when it comes to electrical junk for my GM cars, it's Delco USA first. The Chinesium versions, well, that may well be another story.

You can buy the repro knobs for your 80 and earlier (463440)

And also for your 81-up needs with the headlamp stamp on it. Same knob as above but is correct look for application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor