Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
my HID's have been working without fail for over 3 years, nearly all the issues with HID's are caused by the installer. A friend of mine installs HID's at his business for years and he warranties the parts and labor. Do you think he would do that if people were returning for warranty work that costs him money?

There were a lot of places here that did that as well, not many of them are around anymore. Not saying it is for that reason, but I would think there is a reason that most manufacturers have gone to LED.

Agreed, I think all the HIDs are made in China.
If you’re GTO is running auto headlights, try building a relay harness to resolve this. I had the same issue on my wife’s #%!? van. I installed a harness, so far so good.

Appreciate it, I bought that in the first place when I got HID's for both low and fogs for the car because I know the AUTO/DRL would affect it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There were a lot of places here that did that as well, not many of them are around anymore. Not saying it is for that reason, but I would think there is a reason that most manufacturers have gone to LED.

manufaturers have gone to LED becuse the size makes them easy to place just abotu anywhere and lifespan is good. Look at the price of the replacement for those lights though. The cheap chinese LED's that you buy are not near the quality of the LED's that manufacturers are using. If you look at Osram they make great LED lights and you pay for the quality but they do not make LED headlights.

Last edited:

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
manufaturers have gone to LED becuse the size makes them easy to place just abotu anywhere and lifespan is good. Look at the price of the replacement for those lights though. The cheap chinese LED's that you buy are not near the quality of the LED's that manufacturers are using. If you look at Osram they make great LED lights and you pay for the quality but they do not make LED headlights.

Most times I do not buy the Chinese stuff, superbrightled has some good stuff but I compare around because ten years ago that is what I would buy but like you said it was cheap junk so would die much too soon. Personally I was never a big Sylvania fan, but saying they don't make them so must mean its inferior is like saying because Recon doesn't produce a light bar that they are inferior.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Most times I do not buy the Chinese stuff, superbrightled has some good stuff but I compare around because ten years ago that is what I would buy but like you said it was cheap junk so would die much too soon. Personally I was never a big Sylvania fan, but saying they don't make them so must mean its inferior is like saying because Recon doesn't produce a light bar that they are inferior.

please don't try to anylise what you think I am saying

Darcane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2018
Buckley, WA
I would like to know how you know they are the best lighting for my car when you have no clue on how my HID's light up the road?

What lights DO you have? You mention HIDs in Hella housings.... but Hella does not make an HID Projector lens in 4x6. In fact, the only 4x6 HID Projector lens I've found were home made.

Darcane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2018
Buckley, WA
Lots of anecdotal advice, few people actually doing any sort of real comparison. Not one single picture of how the headlights actually function...

These guys buy all kinds of lights and actually show how they compare measuring actual lux output and show what the beam patterns look like:

Want to upgrade your lights? Watch these and some of their other 4x6 videos and then make your own decision. There's a reason JWSpeaker, Truck-Lite, and VisionX get widely used as semi truck upgrades rather than just sticking an HID bulb in a reflector housing...

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I pose a question: what is the obsession with "cut(off) lines" and projector beams? My wife's '15 RAV4 has them, and they drive me crazy. With beam cut off, your forward vision is very limited aside from perfectly flat land or going uphill which makes them virtually useless where we live. My fogs on my 67 have a cut, but they're auxiliary.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Lots of anecdotal advice, few people actually doing any sort of real comparison. Not one single picture of how the headlights actually function...

These guys buy all kinds of lights and actually show how they compare measuring actual lux output and show what the beam patterns look like:

Want to upgrade your lights? Watch these and some of their other 4x6 videos and then make your own decision. There's a reason JWSpeaker, Truck-Lite, and VisionX get widely used as semi truck upgrades rather than just sticking an HID bulb in a reflector housing...
It be what it be. I have $160 in my Hella/ OSRAM set up, and it looks "right" to me. Most LEDs are too blue for my taste, and the aftermarket housings aren't appealing. I'm not interested. Y'all can argue "better" all you want, but if i/you don't like the look or cost, there are equivalents.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor