Heater box clearance issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattyp77

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2014
I put a big block olds 425 in my 87 cutlass where a 307 used to be. For the most part it was a very simple straight forward swap. Couldn't have asked for a better first ever motor swap. But anyway one place that was a little tight was the right side valve cover and the ac/heater box on the firewall. Although it did fit without actually touching i did end up having to put in new pushrods and i was only able to get those rear ones out by cutting a hole in that box. It seams like the only thing i actually cut was an outer shell, no internal components. My question is will this cause the heating system to not work right? Do i need to find a way to patch that back up? I don't care about the ac i don't plan to set that up anytime soon. But i do care about the heat. Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you leave it open you'll allow heat and fumes from the engine bay into the car

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If there is room you could probably make a small patch out of thin aluminum and use a 90 degree drill and drill holes to either rivet it or put Nutzerts in place for future removal or even screws, use a sealer first and paint it black when you are done.
Also take the valve cover off for extra working room and cover the engine.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I personally would want to keep the option of retaining AC and it would not take much to make it fit on a 425 Olds since you had a 307.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor