Hello from Toronto, Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrockatansky

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2016
Toronto
Hi Everyone,

Long time creeper figured was about time I joined.

I live in Toronto, Canada and am a pretty serious car guy, cut me and I bleed synthetic, that kinda thing.

I have had a thing for the old G body Malibu's for a very long time.. since when I was about 17 and a half actually. An oddly specific number.

Let me regale you with that tale real quick:

In high school (Mid to late 90's) the one thing I wanted above else was an IROCZ. I wanted it so bad it hurt everyday. Now my parents weren't the type of people to buy me a car (specially not an IROC as my Father is an old European ex-race car driver and abhors the thought of any car that "only goes fast in a straight line") so I decided to do what any young kid would do-work my posterior off and announce loudly whenever I could, to whomever would listen that I was going to rock a ROC.

I worked and worked in a little bakery after school, weekends, holidays, rain and snow-I was there, typically covered in flour and smelling like something delicious. I saved everything I could and finally found "THE CAR". Enter my 1987 Z28 T-Tops with an auto box and SB V8.

I bought the car, and like any hyped up teenager couldn't wait to show the car to all my friends.

I remember like it was yesterday driving to see my friend Chris, who was at his other buddy's house. I pulled up the the house so excited to finally show off the ride I had worked so hard for.. and there.. in the driveway was a gleaming black and freshly built 1981 Malibu coupe.

Talk about being upstaged.

It was ugly, muscular and bold, brash, blocky and sounded like the gates to hell had been rendered asunder by a lightning bolt.

My Camaro didn't seem so cool anymore compared to that beast of a Malibu my friend's friend's Father owned I remember thinking very vividly at the time.

Fast forward a few (okay, more than a few) years later and I find myself in possession of a 1978 Malibu (almost the same hideous colour scheme as my Camaro too) coupe. I am the third owner since new and have embarked on a process of restoration that I hope to share with you all soon.

Thanks and looking forward to being part of the community.

M

Attachments

• 20151103_112851.jpg
    20151103_112851.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Excellent story!
Welcome from Calgary Alberta. Be sure to start a build thread on the resurrection of your Malibu. Look forward to following your progress.
Donovan

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
What a great introduction... and I enjoyed the story as well. Looks like a nice clean Malibu. Hope to see what's in order for it down the road. Keep us up to date on your build progress.
You'll enjoy the site. Great bunch of guys, and very helpful.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
It was ugly, muscular and bold, brash, blocky and sounded like the gates to hell had been rendered asunder by a lightning bolt....that beast of a Malibu my friend's friend's Father owned
Bwah-ha-ha-ha. Great opening line for a build thread!!!!

Ask GP403 to please relabel this a 'Build thread'. If you can create a car that matches your written drama, you will have quite a story - and an option on a future career in automotive journalism!!

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Good Luck! Always love looking at other's builds.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
Welcome happy to see more people near poping up in Ontario maybe we should start a club or coffee day with our gbodys btw nice car I oddly love the blue. Great find

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Welcome to the forum, I'm about an hour west of Toronto. As far as the IROC goes a stock version will out handle a stock G body any day but you have to have a mullet to drive one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor