HELP...Bring Back The Shine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
My Cutlass was originally gray, but the previous owner had it re-sprayed in black. It looks like it was done with a very thin base coat and clear in a single stage paint. My guess is that it was another Maaco drive by shooting. :rofl: Anyways, even when the car is clean the paint is very dull and it looks like it was dried in the sun. Very water spotted and runny looking. I tried to wax it today but nothing happened. Is there a way that I can bring back the shine so it doesnt look like crap? Im planning on having it repainted next summer, but the paint right now just kills the look of the car.
generally speaking, no. how long ago was it painted? are you sure its single stage? have you actually polished it, with polishing compound? before waxing it? you will burn the paint very quick if its single stage... also to try to clear over that, will not work, you will have adhesion problems, you would have to wetsand the paint too, then you risk burning it! if you do try to polish it out with compound try it in an area that is the most messed up and where u are willing to risk burning it. problem with cheaper paint is that it will more than likely always shrink back months to years later (even shabby bodywork under the paint will shrink). could be better off just body working it and taking it back to maaco for a 2 stage (if thats all thats in the budget)... spend some xtra money paying someone good to body work it first though, or do the work yourself...

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
LSCustoms said:
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
My Cutlass was originally gray, but the previous owner had it re-sprayed in black. It looks like it was done with a very thin base coat and clear in a single stage paint. My guess is that it was another Maaco drive by shooting. :rofl: Anyways, even when the car is clean the paint is very dull and it looks like it was dried in the sun. Very water spotted and runny looking. I tried to wax it today but nothing happened. Is there a way that I can bring back the shine so it doesnt look like crap? Im planning on having it repainted next summer, but the paint right now just kills the look of the car.
generally speaking, no. how long ago was it painted? are you sure its single stage? have you actually polished it, with polishing compound? before waxing it? you will burn the paint very quick if its single stage... also to try to clear over that, will not work, you will have adhesion problems, you would have to wetsand the paint too, then you risk burning it! if you do try to polish it out with compound try it in an area that is the most messed up and where u are willing to risk burning it. problem with cheaper paint is that it will more than likely always shrink back months to years later (even shabby bodywork under the paint will shrink). could be better off just body working it and taking it back to maaco for a 2 stage (if thats all thats in the budget)... spend some xtra money paying someone good to body work it first though, or do the work yourself...

Im not really sure when it was repainted. All I know is that it was a crappy job. None of the moldings were removed, they were just painted around. Its not really a paintjob worth putting more than $100 into, I'll post pics to show that its not the best of jobs. But, I figured I would try to make it look a little better for the time being. And I think it is a single stage paint, but how can you really tell?

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
And I think it is a single stage paint, but how can you really tell?

Sand a small spot. If the dust is white, then it's been cleared. If the dust is colored, then it's single stage. Same with rubbing compound. If, after compounding, the pad is colored, then it's single stage (or you burned thru the clear) A clear coat job will show nothing on the pad.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Black Sheep said:
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
And I think it is a single stage paint, but how can you really tell?

Sand a small spot. If the dust is white, then it's been cleared. If the dust is colored, then it's single stage. Same with rubbing compound. If, after compounding, the pad is colored, then it's single stage (or you burned thru the clear) A clear coat job will show nothing on the pad.

The pad was black after 1 pass of the whole car, so I guess its single stage. Thanks!

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
The pad was black after 1 pass of the whole car, so I guess its single stage. Thanks!

You did wash the car first, right? :wink:

85cut420

Apprentice
Nov 19, 2011
Wake Co, NC
Go to Home Depot and buy a bottle of stuff called Rejuvenate (google it). Directions say use even with dirt on car, that is for idiots. Wash the car thoroughly and dry it, then apply the stuff, let dry, wipe off. Unless the water spots and other imperfections are trapped underneath the clearcoat, this should help. Good luck!

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Black Sheep said:
Kwik_Cutty88 said:

You did wash the car first, right? :wink:

Oh yes, I made sure it was super clean. :D

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
LSCustoms said:
Kwik_Cutty88 said:

Im not really sure when it was repainted. All I know is that it was a crappy job. None of the moldings were removed, they were just painted around. Its not really a paintjob worth putting more than $100 into, I'll post pics to show that its not the best of jobs. But, I figured I would try to make it look a little better for the time being. And I think it is a single stage paint, but how can you really tell?
yeh, ur pad turning black told it all, unfortunately it is single stage, or it meant that u burned through the clear... more than likely single stage though... nothing you can do for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor