HELP ME PLEASE???

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadtofall

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 3, 2009
so i was removing my headers today on my 403 to be painted and the middle top center header bolt broke off in the head, any suggestions on how to get this out??? tried viscrips and cant get a good enough hold on it, what else???

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
well,i havent done it yet to professionally tell you what to do but on my 350 olds the same happened...only three bolt heads are broken.What you'll probably need to do is try to drill them out,then your gonna have to tap a thread in the bolt hole and reinstall a new bolt.What you could try is spray lots of pb blaster or bolt losser on the bolt and then try to remove it with vise grips.

svltrack

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2009
I had a tool break off in a tight spot like this one time. Just the tip was in there. There was enough room to weld to it & got it out. I would not normally recommend this but might be a heck of a lot easier then drilling

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Leave it, not necessary to seal headers on the Olds v8. I have not used it and no problems.

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
from my experience, welding a nut to it and then turning it out has always worked for me... but from what ive seen on them bop motors, the header bolts arent exactly in the best place... :(

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Welding another bolt to it is the easiest if you have access to a welder and if there's enough material present to weld to.

Heat the area up if you have access to an oxy-acetelyne torch.

Drilling and re-tapping or heli-coiling the hole should be a last resort.

I've made cuts in them with a dremel, and used a flathead screw driver to turn them out with a pretty good success rate.
Of course I've also broken a couple screwdriver tips trying to turn them out... :lol:

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Yeah man soak it in PP blaster, let it sit over night, Vice grip it really good, or just weld the vice grips to the bolt, and use a hammer and tap it out, even if its little bit at a time, you're still getting somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor